1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

why I go hunting

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by alan webfoot, May 2, 2011.

1. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

Out turkey hunting last Thursday ,never heard a thing [turkeys] but had fun watching squirrels playing ,one decidedhe liked the tree I was leaning against ,,soo full bore running through some mayapples here it comes. When he leaped for the tree I felt the water spray off the leaf of the mayapple hit my face ,this thing landed on the tree inches from my face ,thank the LORD not on it,a fraction of a second later decided ,,''Hey thats not a part of the tree''. So airborne again back where it came from ,then just sat there looking confused.Iv'e been ''strafed by a great horned owl,and had a chipmunk run across my shoe, and feeding does 6 or 8 feet from where I sat all great experiences ,can't get that from computer games!!!

2. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

Yeah, dad wasn't so lucky last spring when a bobcat decided to use his head as a stepping post as it jumped out of a large cedar tree at daylight with him leaning on it listening for turkeys..... :eek: he said all he knew was something big just landed on his head and he grabbed whatever it was and threw it as far as he could. The cat landed and was looking back about as surprised for being thrown as dad was for having it land on him. :D He had 4 sets of claw marks on his head (he is bald :) ) that you clearly could see where it grabbed on. After he quite bleeding he went on to limit out on his Rio's with one having 1.5 hooks later that morning.

3. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

and I thought squirrel claws would smart ,,OUCH!!!!!

4. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

one of my hang on stands is up in a tree that turkeys like to roost in, about an hour or hour and a half after legal shooting light fly down starts up and it gets really interesting, one time i almost had a nice 20 pound hen come within three feet of me, she saw me and veered away at the last second
    that moment was the deer season before this last one, and needless to say this fall year i applied for a fall turkey tag just in case i had a similar experience, never got a shot i wanted that wouldnt spook any deer

5. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    My buddy sent me a pic of a yote he shot. I asked where he got it and said he was out turkey hunting and it attacked the decoy at 20 yards. Then dumped it with the 12 GA. It's crazy what you see in the woods at daybreak.

6. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

Saturday morning (our first day of turkey season) I got to see my second fisher in the woods, it came through about 40 yards in front of me. Then yesterday morning I was setup with a gobbler about 70 yards in front of me and a hen (that I didnt know was there when I sat down) about 50 yards behind me, so I figured I was in the perfect spot. After about 10 minutes the hen starting putting and I know I didnt move, I was straining my eyes hard to my left too see what was going on and a red fox popped up over the logging road bank. I think the hen putting made the gobbler now want to get down so I left him at 7:00 still in the tree, cuz I had to get to work.

7. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Last year, I had a coyote attack my turkey decoy. Year pasts while on a bear hunt I had a flying squirrel jump on my rifle, and hand that was across my knee. Lots and lots of encounters with birds, and small critters passing through the woods. It definitely adds to the whole experience of the hunt.

8. The last 3 years deer hunting all I found was does and a grow plot for weed. I am assuming the rush you get hunting dangerous game is the same as walking in on someones illegal grow spot holding a bow. Just dont stop walking and veer away. Crazy stories out here of CA DFG getting into shoot outs with those guys when they find the plots. no beuno