1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

your fav....

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by birdtaxi, May 4, 2011.

1. birdtaxi

birdtaxi Higer Ground taxidermy

i just ordered all of the things to finnally get real serious about taxidermy...part of that was gaining the nerve to go for it, but i was curious as to what ya'll use the most, your favorite tool and the mvp of the taxidermy tool world? :) reason as to why i put this in birds is cause its what i have been working with the most. :)
    kyle

2. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    All the tools that get the job done. :D

3. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

I like to mount birds with my tool! 8)

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

For birds hands down it's my bird fleshing machine. For everything else I would be lost without my curved scissors. A simple tool, but I hate when I can't find them because I use them so much. lol

5. X2 on the fleshing machine, plus I have a pair of flat tipped surgical steel scissors from the 1930s that I use every day

6. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

can't really reduce it to one ,,but yeah the wheel almost rather do without an airbrush,that an a pair of surgical scissors picked up at Lucasville swap meet,don't forget the hotmelt glue gun

7. I love my scissors. They made my skinning and fleshing so much easier. Was not hard to find a wheel, but the right scissors took a few pairs. And then I bought back ups cause I loose stuff.

8. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

a wood handle with a needle in the end of it....a pinning tool....I spend more time with grooming/eye setting ....than fleshing/assembling etc.......

9. I will have to agree with the wheel and scissors, and glue gun. I use small fly tying scissors. But I also couldn't live with out my hair drier and shop vac for drying and fluffing

10. Joshbritt

Joshbritt New Member

Patience!

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Coffee. :D

12. birdtaxi

birdtaxi Higer Ground taxidermy

thankyou to all who have answered...didnt know how well this was gonna go but it was helpful...i think right now i love my hair dryer becasue as a begginer you hate what a bird looks like when its getting pulled out of your dawn and warm water or your white gas...it looks teribble and i love seeing it fluff again...thats a part that i know there is still hope for the bird.
    kyle :)

13. H2OFWLR

H2OFWLR New Member

Utah
    Im such a beginne, but I made a mini big game stand that I clamp to my work station and wire the birds (flying) to the stand so it is hands free.

14. Eric N

Eric N New Member

The most important tool is a good set of calipers.

15. EHile

EHile Member

I love my tweezers. Stiff, strong, and narrow, I use them when pulling tendons from bone, setting eyes, and grooming.

16. I have a dental tool that looks kind of like a flat spoon. I got it years and years ago from my dentist. I don't know what I would do without it.It's great for scooping out brains and scraping meat off of bones and a lot of other things.I have had to dig through my garbage several times because i accidentally have thrown it away. Haven't found anything like it since. ;D

17. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

wuold have to go with the wheel best investment i ever made. then some dental picks that different types of ends on them you can get these from a dentist they throw them away all the time and they may geve them to you or maybe you can find them at the local scrap yard. yes the scrape yard that is where i found the first ones i have. ref photos those are big as well. some of the other stuff i like in the shop is my fridge my radio my cds a good chair to sit on and my old lab to talk to in the middle of the night. you may need a microwave to cook the food your wife made you for supper so you can eat it when it is warm. aside from that you will figure out what you need as you go or come up with somethig no one else would use good luck oh and have some fun