1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pedestal backs

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by OutdoorCreations, May 4, 2011.

1. i am going to be ordering michael p. dvd and i want to order whatever i will need at the same time i get the dvd. is the stuff that i will need things i can pick up at menards or is it stuff i need to order from wasco at the same time so i dont have two orders and can get to work on it right away thanks

2. huntnfish

huntnfish New Member

You will need to order dextrin but can pick up the plaster of paris from menards and the vermiculite from your local garden center. Also need some cheap water based paints for color

3. spitpatch

spitpatch New Member

Regardless of what you buy before hand, you will STILL need Michaels DVD, or you will be shooting in the dark as to the process.
    Originally I thought about fishing for info on the materials thinking I could just figure it out,(not saying that is your intent) but I purchased the video and I am glad I did. I would have floundered for a great while without the techniques and procedure to pull off a quality product.
    Since purchasing his video, I have paid for it many times over in just the past few (2) months. Fantastic!

I also respect everyone who knows his techniques and process yet safeguards this portion of his business by not sharing for free what we all had to pay for.
    If you purchase his DVD, you will join the many who can say it was a great investment. I personally wanted to attend his training in Illinois recently, however was unable to make the trip from Iowa to Illinois due to conflicts in scheduling, so I had to purchase the DVD. If you get a chance to attend the live training, then do so, as I understand there is MUCH more to be learned from the live class.
    Good luck on using MP's system. It is awesome!!!

spit

4. i am not trying to get the info for free without the dvd at all and i am def ordering the dvd becasue i dont have the first clue on how to do anything like that. I just wanted to try and save some time when i am ordering the dvd so i dont have to order the dvd and then make another order after i get the dvd and wait for the supplies to get here. i guess i didnt think that i would be getting the secrets or whatever if i just knew what to order at the same time. I would love to go to one of his live classes and I too missed out on the one in Illinois. anyways I will be ordering the dvd tomorrow and if i get the help i am after that would be great to save me an additional order if not thats okay too. thanks

5. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Like said before, all you need to order from a supply house is dextrin all other supplies can be bought local including the powder tempera paint from a art store or hobby lobby.

6. thanks i am ordering the dvd and dextrin now

7. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Great, you can be on back-order with me :-[ :'(

She said a couple weeks, I bet I make it that long lol

8. yea i was told the same the sooner the better though

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

Is it plaster of Paris he uses or just plain plaster? I thought it was just plaster. I've used plaster and even rock hard (when I wanted it to dry quicker) and it worked okay. Isn't plaster of Paris more expensive?

10. drenkes

drenkes New Member

I bought the Michael P. dvd a few months ago. Can you buy dextrin anywhere besides the taxidermy supply company's?

11. Boarhunter,

I have been using plaster of Paris and it works but damn that stuff takes for ever to dry. I built a rock for a short cape last week and it took a good 3 days before it felt dry.

12. boarhunter67

I started using fix-all when I need it to dry in a very short amount of time. Otherwise, I use regular plaster "fast set."

13. huntnut78

huntnut78 New Member

Re: Re: pedestal backs

Feed stores sometimes carry dextrin.

14. drenkes

drenkes New Member

thanks huntnut78 I will check my local feed store

15. Redfisher

Redfisher New Member

I have the DVD and I can tell u this much, it's not plaster of parris

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. dljhunt

dljhunt New Member

You will not regret ordering Michaels video. It will pay for itself the first time you watch it. I have watched mine several times and I pick up something I missed every time I watch it. Think i will watch it tonight.

17. boarhunter67

x2. You can even use the techniques on pedestal, floor, and wall habitats.

18. you tube has guys making dextrin by putting corn starch on a baking sheet and baking it in the oven. Don't know if it really turns into dextrin but it's on you tube..

19. I will have to look for that fast set plaster. The only thing Lowe's had was the plaster of Paris. Did you get it at Menards maybe?

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Plaster of Paris sets mighty fast IMO, but if you need it to set faster, add a little salt.