1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1890s dog taxidermy

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by fscheer, May 5, 2011.

1. fscheer

fscheer New Member

During the 1890s before mehanical refrigeration and freezing, a person wanted to have a dog preserved. How long could a carcass be held before a taxidermist can begin work upon it? My guess is that it might only be a few days, but I am seeking educated opinions. This is a historical research question that I can elaborate upon, if interested.

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    A few days? No ... it would start to stink after a few days. And while there was no mechanical refrigeration, there were ice boxes. These held a block of ice - reference The Three Stooges short "An Ache In Every Stake" - so there has been some sort of refrigeration for a while.

However, most people ... the "common folk" did not have the means to have old Fido preserved. Most were either buried, or put out for the trash man, or dumped in the woods somewhere.

People of means were generally the only part of the population that would have their pets preserved. These people were also generally more well educated, and aware of the start of decomp and the importance of putting Fido or Kitty "on ice" until they could locate a Taxidermist for the job.

And back then, most all Taxidermists accepted pets ... there was none of this "Oh I don't like doing pets" BS ... they wanted to eat and make their bills, they accepted pets. That is one reason you will find so many done in the "olden days."

The animals were done to the best of the ability of the preparators ... some were more adept than others, much as it is today. That is why you will find some that are pretty well done, considering the time in history they were mounted, while others are just horrid pieces of ... well ... you get the idea!

That's about it. Considering I wasn't around then, that's all the information I gathered by actually reading BOOKS on the subject. You should try it sometime. It's AMAZING what you can learn when you choose to "Read All About It!" ;)

John.