1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buying and Selling Taxidermy

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by kali.coble, May 5, 2011.

1. kali.coble

kali.coble New Member

Hey guys! I am looking to start buying and selling taxidermy (I don't want to be a taxidermist...I just want to buy and sell it) in Oklahoma. I have searched everywhere online and cannot find any rule, regulations, laws, etc to follow. I know that ignorance of the law is not an excuse and I've heard of people selling a whitetail mount or whatever on Craigslist and have the game wardens come knocking at their door. So, all that being said, any information, tips or links you could give me would be extremely helpful! Thanks!
  2. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

This is a case of "checking on line" is NOT enough. You will need to contact your local game warden, in person, and get the information from them. Then you will probably need to go "higher up" and get everything you can "in writing". Game laws are deliberately vague, to allow the wardens a lot of discretion, but it leaves open for each warden to interpret them in a different way.

3. dc240nt

dc240nt Lets Talk Big Bucks!!

And every state has their own rules. Whats legal to sell in one state may be illegal in the next
  4. I say it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
  5. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

yeah tell the CO that ....best start by getting a state license
  6. kali.coble

kali.coble New Member

Thanks for your responses, everyone. I can't seem to get a game warden to give me the time of day. I called the chief of law enforcement. But all I got was an "That isn't allowed at all"...But anyway, I'm going to keep pushing on and doing my research...

@kirk23, Sometimes I think you're right in saying that...just can't afford the fine! :)
  7. byrdman

byrdman Active Member

go online to your state dnr website and search for permits/lic. that should get you a start.
  8. Most law enforcers can't tell you the regs beyond simple bag limits and size limits. Write to the DNR in your state via letter or email. They are obligated to respond, and you will have a hard copy.
    Nearly every state has their own version of the Freedom of Information Act, referred to variously as Open Records, Open Meetings, Open Government or Sunshine laws.
    You can also request in writing copies of any regs that pertain to what you want to do.
    Many states charge up to $1 per page (copy fee) as the info is "free".
  9. Louie

Louie New Member

I would stay away from all migratory birds, watrfowl, as well as hawks, eagles, owls, scavengers, song birds.
    Also buying or reselling bass. 9I believe there is a Black Bass act of 1954 that prohibits the sale of all bass mounted or fresh) I beliieve rules on those two catagories are the same in all of the continental USA.
    State and Federal taxidermy permits are reasonable and easy to obtain. You should get some guidelines for your state with them. But also, when in possesion of a licence, It gives you Licence to ask the local wardens specific questions, they need to tell you the answer as well as show you where the law is written as such. If they refuse, ask for their superior and you will find out what you need.
    Don't let some donut soaker give you a generic answer that it's all illegal just to get you out of their lives. It's Part of their job. Good Luck.
  10. dc240nt

dc240nt Lets Talk Big Bucks!!

Good post and good advice. It is not illegal to sell taxidermy mounts with the exceptions of endangered and migratory. Just be sure that if a permit is needed, and I dont know what kind of permit would be required except maybe a state taxidermy license, and even that is questionable, but if you need one then get it. Also you will want to be familiar with all state and federal laws and restrictions. It isnt that big of a deal. There are many people who use this site to buy and sell (broker) mounts, that have never been in one iota of trouble for selling legal mounts and transactions.
  11. kali.coble

kali.coble New Member

Thanks for all the great advice. After doing some research and calling around, I've found out there is no special permit needed to sell taxidermy here in OK. The only thing they are adamant about is that I cannot sell native wildlife like whitetail if it was taken in Oklahoma and I have the papers to prove it. Should I get my Federal Fish and Game Wildlife Permit just as a precaution?
  12. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

If you are not mounting migratory birds for others then you do not need a Federal Taxidermy Permit. Make sure you have your butt covered with papers of legally taken game. Upland birds can be bought and sold but again I would make sure to have papers to show they were legally taken and or acquired.
  13. You can sell all the sparrows and starlings you want. No license needed to shoot them. Upland game birds are ok. Migratory waterfowl is not legal to sell in any state. Can't sell, purchase, taxidermy, or bring even a whisker of a cougar into California, even when obtained legally with a license from another state. Any mounted cougars have to have proof they were taken before 1990 for a person to have them in possession in California.

I told a fish and game officer that we should take the "nuisance" cats that are trapped and release them in San Francisco, Los Angeles and other big cities so the fools that got that law passed could deal with the consequences of their actions. My neighbor lost 5 sheep in 2 days from a cougar. We are close to a golf course and the cat has been seen there chomping on the deer.
  14. Wapabilly71

Wapabilly71 New Member

It's ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL about money to them. But it is what it is so i guess you've got to do what they want you to do so that they can an extra $ out of you.
  15. Southern_Trophy

Southern_Trophy USMC O.I.F. Veteran OohRah!

it is illegal in Oklahoma to sell any bone or hooves from an animal. So if your deer heads have the skull plate in them, they would be illegal to sell.
  16. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

reguardless of what your state allows or not, selling across state lines is a violation of "Inter-
    State Commerce Laws"......that is a federal issue....believe me on that...a 20 year old deer mount on E Bay I sold, cost me 4,000 bingo's....anything I buy or sell now is with legal paperwork...period...never want to go there again
  17. Where are you Marshy?
  18. kali, take your time researching your Oklahoma laws on the buying and selling of mounted specimuns. Most of the laws will be covered under the state statutes and administrative code, but they will normally not be listed together. As said above,each state has differents laws if you intend to sell or buy from that state, which you would need to abide by. There are protected and endangered species listed in each state, so some of them are prohibited by law to resell, even if mounted. A lot of times, once a species has been mounted, it is no longer covered under any taxidermy laws. Make sure you get an interpretation from your local DNR of the law, and then get it in writing. The laws can be very complicated to understand and follow. Work on one item at a time and work your way up. If the buying and selling occurs across state lines, then a federal law may override the state law. Trust me, the laws can be very hard to follow and easy to violate without realizing it. Find out what is legal to sell and then grow from that , but slowly. Good luck.
  19. bowerbird

bowerbird New Member

isnt antler bone anyway,,so all antlers are illegal
  20. marshy creek

marshy creek New Member

well said Len.....on line auction sights as well as this great sight are gold mines for state and federal agents.....your state laws are completely different than federal laws.....we all know white tail deer are not considered migratory...however, transporting by any means for monetary gain is considered "Interstate Commerce"...a simple letter from your state DNR for purpose of sale is all you need to legally transport, as long as the buyers state can be cleared as well.....in my sate, with the proper paperwork, I can sell a black bear hide, but can not mount it and sell it.....you can't buy or sell any parts of a Black bear in California or Florida....federal agents monitor this site every day....bank on that....the bear skin I have had for sale on this site brought out two members who PM'd me about purchasing it......guess where they were located.....California and Florida....once I forwarded them the required legal documents, I have yet to hear from them again....know your laws, and if you don't know, don't do it...it is a very expensive lesson