1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hole near eye, Help!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by KansasBuck, May 8, 2011.

1. KansasBuck

KansasBuck New Member

I have a whitetail shoulder mount to do. When examining the cape I found the tanner left a quarter size hole just above the eye and a little to the rear of the center of the eye. The plug from the hole is still attached by a thread of skin. I would be interested in any suggestions for repairing this hole prior to mounting. I am afraid that stitches would show with the hair being so short at this location. Maybe carefully super gluing the plug back in once it is mounted. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. IMO i would take and place the plug and super glue a dryer sheet to the skin side. AND be very careful when putting th hide on the face. That is what i would try.

3. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Good advice.

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Ditto, and make sure you get some good hide paste everywhere in and around it when setting/shaping your eyes.

5. rekim

rekim New Member

Remember though the sheet will be hard where ever the glue is and won't allow you to "bunch" any skin above that eye, and makes it difficult to form a eyelid. Any short hair areas I use a light mono 2-3# with a small needle (stitches are invisible). Then, if need be use a little super glue along the stitched area (sparingly). A good hide paste and a few brads above the eye in the long hair to not allow any pulling from the top as is dries.

6. I started using a product called tear mender. I got the idea from a friend of Oldfarts. It stays flexible and not crackly like superglue. You can get it at a fabric store.

7. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

For what it's worth, I repair almost all facial/short-hair cuts/holes with an extremely small glover's needle and "invisible thread". If the skin is really thin, I use a tiny round point needle to reduce risk of thread tearing through. (yeah, it's "old school")

It is a clear polyester thread (similar to monofilament fishing line), but is literally thin as a human hair (.004 dia.) and amazingly strong. I double it, put on my "headband magnifying glasses", and start stitching. The hardest part is threading the needle with my old eyes. ;D

I tie off well, and sometimes put a small drop of super glue on the knot to make sure it doesn't unravel.

Here's a description of the thread. Most craft and stores that sell thread carry it.

http://www.createforless.com/Sulky+Invisible+Thread+.004+2400+yd+Clear+Uncarded/pid32797.aspx?utm_source=priceGrabber&utm_medium=cse

8. jorgy

jorgy Member

I do the same thing Lone Wolf does. I sew all holes in skins. If they are in the ears, nose pad, or other short haired areas I always use that thread. Wal Mart sells it with the rest of the thread. It works really good on African as well