1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A very heartfelt thank you to this forum....

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by GulfcoastWF, May 9, 2011.

1. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

I Just want to say thank you to each and every member of this community for making it what it is: a wonderful place to learn, share and connect with the best minds in this industry. I have learned so much from you guys (and gals :) ) through the discussions and tutorials and tricks and techniques, to become a more diversified artist as well as taxidermist. My win Friday night was a true testament to the greatness of taxidermy.net website, and I feel that you all deserve some small part of it.

I will be honest, I have been working on other things in my life and taking a piece to the show was not a huge priority at first. When some firends finally made the decision to go and bought their plane tickets, I figured I would join them. I'm relatively new to competing and I decided to do this project more for myself than to win an award. I just wanted to take this piece to learn with and had no further expectations of it. My plan was to find out what the judges wanted, what they were looking for and how harshly they judged at this very competitive level, and to see what I would be up against in the future. Then, maybe in 2 years I could come back with something really strong to compete with. I'm still shocked to say the least. I could not have done it without some of you guys though. I have met some wonderful people and made some great friends here and you all deserve to be recognized for the help, support, and encouragement that you have given me through the years Ive been here.

I want to say thanks to my buddy Nate Miller for sending out a congrats thread and all who have posted their kind words. Hurry up and get down here Nate so we can shoot some birds.

Thanks to Eugene streekstra (aka wingman) for being a positive influence and good friend. I think you have pushed me and encouraged me more than any other person on this forum and I am grateful. I bet you don't even realize just how many of your "wingtips" I used in this piece alone. Thanks for believing in my abilities even when I didn't.

Thank you to all of the European taxidermists who do the "tweeties" and other non-waterfowl birds. I'm a waterfowl and upland taxidermist first, that's what Ive learned to do, but I cant tell you guys how much I think we all learn from even just the pictures of the process you go through with the thinner skinned birds. please keep posting.

Jbird, Jeff... thanks for the tips and input on the toucans. Ive enjoyed the brainstorming, too. The blue morpho I got from you many years ago was the model I used in the butterfly recreation :)

Thanks Tony Finazzo for your input and instruction last year at my first competition and the great heads you've sent me. even though this is my toucan head I cast myself, I have always enjoyed using yours.

Thanks to Ken Edwards for creating this site. Its done more than just bring taxidermists together, it has saved lives. How great is that! I hope you know how much we all appreciate what you've done here.

Shane, I am very sorry I missed you at the show but I understand. I'm very sorry to hear about what happened over there and our heart goes out to your family. I feel I owe you a thanks too... for inspiration and generosity. I didn't think I even needed that other head, even after I ruined the darn mold on the first one.

If there is anyone I have missed, forgive me. Again, thanks to everyone who helped. Lets keep making this site what it is. A place to learn and grow and help one another become the best wildlife artists we can.
    I'll post some pictures on here later. thanks again everybody.

most humbly
    Lowell Shapley
    Gulfcoast Waterfowl

2. Lowell, you did great, man. Beautiful work as always. Hope to see you at the next show. Next time at the awards banquet, just get a seat next to the stage. lol

3. Way to go Lowell. Glad to see your work honored. I think all the great taxidermist of this site should be honored as well. This site is comprised of some of the most talented and generous people. Thanks to all for making this site the most important page of every day.

4. wingman

wingman Active Member

Very Nice Lowell! Its SO nice to see someone with so much talent not displaying any arrogance and actually being humble. Admirable!! You are so multi-talented and a FINE individual !! I am glad to call you my friend!

5. alexm

alexm New Member

Well said Wing man Good for you Lowell

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Congrats!!! Well deserved!!

7. JBird

JBird Member

Very nice of you to say but I'm pretty sure you can take ALL the credit on your winning piece - you are remarkably gifted.....thanks for the thanks 8) and congratulations - not that any of us are suprised you did so well. Very well deserved - call when things settle back down and we'll talk more about what new treasure's we've uncovered

J

8. SteveP

SteveP New Member

You know how a mount can look good at first glance but then the faults start to appear the more you look at it? As I said before, I don't know toucan reference, and still the more I looked at, and came back to look some more, the cleanliness and details became even more impressive. The action and flow of the entire piece was an instant eye grabber.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to put your taxinet name with your face and name at the show. I'm also sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at the show. It was just impossible to meet everybody, and the only times I seen you were during your trips to the stage. :D

Congratulations Lowell, I sincerely believe you EARNED it.

9. Gray Ghost Safaris

Gray Ghost Safaris Hunting Consultant

It was an incredible mount Lowell and you deserved the award. Congratulations!

10. nate

nate Active Member

X's 2 Cant wait to come down! Shoot some trophy birds and maybe try of few of the different ideas that we'd talked about!

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Nice chat today, LJ. I can't wait to see the wood duck on its way. I knew when I was you first pair of fish, you were going to be off the charts....and you humbly confessed to being a "bird guy!" Fish Heads, look out when this fellow decides to enter the fish arena. I don't know diddly about competition, but I do recognize massive talent when I see it. You deserve all the accolades you get LJ.

12. stuffinducks

stuffinducks New Member

Congrats and well deserved. Beautiful piece...loved it!

SD

13. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Congrats Lowell! I've always said that you are one of the best and most talented artists I've ever seen. All of your mounts have such amazing creativity. I'm sure I speak for everyone here in saying we miss seeing your work on here. Hopefully you will bring that piece down to Texas so we can see it in person and catch up.

And yes he does amazing fish work too! Look in the archives for his peacock bass.

14. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Way to go Lowell !! What an awesome piece! Congrats on all the awards very well deserved

Barry

15. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Lowell your talent is only exceeded by your humbleness and thoughtfulness. I still want to do that project together we have two years lets do it. Congrats again you deserve it.
    Tony