1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black Rhino Mount for sale

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by Delandshark, May 9, 2011.

1. Delandshark

Delandshark New Member

Black Rhinoceros taxidermy mount in original condition. Rhino was taken in 1957 in Kenya (pre-ban) and has 20" long x 18" around the front horn, 9" x 19" on back horn. Small split in lower lip from drying. Due to USFWS reg's, mount can be sold only in Oregon. Realistic offers only, please. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. derbrans

derbrans New Member

Where are you located and what is a ballpark $ amount you were thinking on the mount?

3. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

I'd also like to know what kind of price you're interested in getting for this guy.

4. Delandshark

Delandshark New Member

Was offered 25k for it some time back. Am willing to entertain reasonable offers. Thanks

5. johnd8636

johnd8636 New Member

do you still have this mount for sale i would really like to talk about it thanks

6. You should have taken the 25K. Good luck.

7. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    I was under the impression that Black rhinos are really not black. Was the skin dyed to darken the appearance?

8. derbrans

derbrans New Member

Ouch!!! Its a cool mount but not 25k cool. Good luck

9. derbrans the horn itself is worth that to the right person.

10. derbrans

derbrans New Member

Probably so. I hope you find that person or that person finds you. With Christmas coming that extra cash would be great.

11. vulturelivestock

vulturelivestock New Member

If you still have this mount I would like to talk to you about it

12. lostcreek1

lostcreek1 New Member

watched a pair of rhino horns sell at auction last summer 13 lbs sold for 65000 yes 65 thousand and 17lbs for 80000 so 25 very reasonable if there the real horns

13. durianman

durianman New Member

No doubt a Southern White with papers, the only way to sell a horn legally. Northern White and all the Black sub-species are highly endangered and therefore illegal in interstate commerce. The horns are different so forget trying to pass off a Black for a White. Only these official horns can be exported to the far East where they are used as medicine, which is why the high price. A Black has to stay within its state and only brings a fraction of the price.

14. Omnivore

Omnivore New Member

Ah, I was very curious about that as well; right now rhino horns are in demand because of an urban myth in Asia about a Vietnamese politician who was cured of cancer by eating powdered rhino horn, so in places like China the black market price has skyrocketed and poaching has ramped up. A rhino mount reserved only for the means of keeping it as a mount has a far lower market value than just the horns sold to someone with the intent to grind it up and sell it on the black market.