1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dentured achlohol

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by madtrapper22, May 9, 2011.

1. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

Where do you guys get this stuff i cant find it.I think it will be a bomb for my small game mounts if i can find it

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Did you try Lowes, Home Depot, paint stores, or Walmart? Because they all sell it.

3. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

ill try again tommarow also do you flesh it before you soak it or after all prep work is done?garrett

4. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I get mine in bulk(5 gal. at a time) through my local LP dealer. They use it to clean out the moisture in the LP tanks. When I used to use it in larger quantities I got it through the local petroleum distributor(Phillips 66) in 55 gal. drums for $2 a gallon.

5. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Home Depot and WalMart in their paint section:
    http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/cleaners-thinners-removers/klean-strip/slx-denatured-alcohol-gallon-54699.html

6. Skin, then flesh, wash in Dawn dish detergent then"DA".

7. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

thanks

8. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

x2 walmart is where i get mine and where i have been getting my glycerin

9. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

how long do you soak a squirrel?

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A minimum of 15/20 minutes. You could leave him in there for as long as you'd like I suppose but be aware that the hide is going to shrink. You'll need to wash it and tumble it before mounting. Denatured alcohol exposure is also not a good thing. It can result in respiratory and neurological problems if proper protective clothing is not worn. In other words, dry preservative is a safer alternative if you don't know what you're doing.

elektroyu likes this.