1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Glossing!

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jwbkeeper1, May 10, 2011.

1. Ok so I have been mounting ducks and deer for a while and I'm finally deciding to start using some gloss. For instance duck bills, feet, and deer noses. I usually purchase all my products from Mckenzie. But I need to get some gloss so I was just wondering what most of yall guys use? If its not from mckenzie thats ok also. Thanks!

2. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

NC
    Welcome! For bills and feet, I like to use a Matte Sealer, not a shiny gloss. I only use the shiny gloss to paint over the eyes, to make them appear wet. You can always use a shiny gloss on the bills and feet if you wanted to do some kind of scene where they were wet, as in a water scene.
    I bought my can of spray matte sealer from the craft store, and the shiny gloss is from any taxidermy catalog under the airbrush paint section.

3. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I use Krylon Matte Finish. You can buy it at Wally World. I also use the Matte Mod Podge as a final coat on bills...it really makes them look real.

4. ok great! thanks for the help. Mckenzie has mod podge as well!

5. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

So does WalMart.

6. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

One gloss or sealer does not fit all.

7. James Parrish

Yes, but you can get it cheaper at WalMart.

8. James Parrish

Correct. Check out the PDF to see all the different formulas of Mod Podge...Gloss, Matte, Satin, Outdoor, Sparkle, Glitter, etc.

http://www.plaidonline.com/eduPDF/MP_Formula_Guide.pdf

9. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

NC
    James, what type of Mod Podge do you use for your final coat? I also use the Krylon Matte spray, and I'd like to try out Mod Podge for the final coat, to see what it looks like.
    Thanks!

10. I use the Matte thinned down a little with water. Watch out for any specs you get in the modge podge because they don't show up until it's dry.

11. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I also like to use Mod Podge as an undercoat when I'm using the real beak. It makes a great transition between any repairs and the surrounding areas and it also holds paint really well.

12. James Parrish

I use the matte mod podge.

Nancy also pointed out a great tip. I do this also when doing repairs on bills or turkey heads. When I do fish, I use the gloss mod podge to blend apoxie work to the skin.