1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

timeline for finshing2010 Deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by davehyer, May 11, 2011.

1. davehyer

davehyer New Member

When will you have your 2010 season mounts complete? How many mounts do you generally take in?

I'm just trying to see what an average turn around time is for the majority of Taxidermists. I can only go by the guys around me, and there is a huge difference so it's not very clear. a few of them are 18 mos to 2 years and think thats too long but it might be more normal than I realize.

2. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

6 to 12 months for me and the more ya call the longer it's gonna take! I got one guy right now that will never see his mount lol J/K he's a good freind of mine, they're the worst ;D
    I guess it all depend on when ya get it to me, if it's the start of a new season and your one of the early ones it could be back to ya in a month or two, if your one of the last people to bring me one in December then it will be closer to 8+ month's most likely.

3. I always run 10 months, I think thats a normal turnaround time.
    I get several new customers a year that switched because of a 2 year turnaround.

4. bw

bw New Member

approx. 1yr.

Many get done sooner....a few get done later.

5. cwt

cwt Active Member

Done with deer except for the ones that are not getting picked up. but I dont do many

6. I was 95% done by March 31. Then I took a break for turkey hunting. Will finish up the rest in early June.

Bruce

7. 8 months to a year for me, some sooner. I also have a wood flooring biz to run as well, two jobs for me. I took in 68 pieces with some being half lifesize and one lifesize. Few turkey and several euros as well.

8. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

6-8 months here. That's 100 whitetails, 29 bears, birds, fish, moose, elk, coyotes, fox, etc etc etc...... Birds are the only ones I tell when I get to them I get to them. Never a year though. Unless a customer is supposed to bring me a "special" piece of wood for their mount, LOL. Then it can run a year or more LMAO.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

They get done when they get done.... some really fast, some really slow.... as long as they all look good :)

10. 6 to 8 months here Im also a Fire Fighter so I close shop every third day, and that seems to be when everyone wants to drop things off. LOL

11. I like MPs answer. They usually start calling to "just check how its going "after about 5 month. I try to be done by the start of the next deer season. 10 months

12. cwt

cwt Active Member

i don't know how you do it Michael. The number one complaint around me is no timeline. I have customers come to me that say so and so told me 6 months to a year and it has been 2 years and I haven't got it back. Or 6 months to a year and a year and 1 day they will look for another taxidermist. Good for you if you don't have complaints.

13. c70mach1

c70mach1 Let em grow.......

If its quality work , then there NO complants .. LOL...
    Very few if any that show there work on this sight have nothing to worry about ..Just my 2 cents.

14. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    I guess the first few every year are pretty quick, but when the load comes in it seems to end up around 7 to 8 mos. Guys that have had a few mounts done know what to expect but you always get the guy that never had a mount done and he wants to call every month to see how it's coming.

I actually had a guy bring me a deer in on a sat and he called me the following Friday to see how it's was coming. I thought he was kidding so I said " Well I still have it if that's what you mean" But he wasn't kidding.

I really try hard to have everything done by sept so i can have a few days off and do some bow hunting, but it's getting harder to do.

I make sure my quality stays where it should be, after 9 years i have only had two complaints that I am aware of. One guy brought his deer back because it had marks all over it. i explained to him that they were scars from fighting and that I really couldn't do anything with it. i think he thought I BSing him, but he took it and left. The other guy shot his in the head between the eye and the antler burr. I fixed it best I could and he was mad because you could still see where it had been shot. You can't please every one no matter how hard you try.

15. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    average year for me is 8-11 months, I have never had to go past a year I just will not let it happen ( I like to hunt to much to work that time of year )LOL

16. Most of the time I am between 10 months and a year. There are some exceptions that get done a little later and some a little sooner.

17. I turn all of my mounts by the following hunting season. 8 to 10 months is the longest.

18. cheapguy

cheapguy New Member

I tell people 8-10 months. Most will be done before that but it keeps them from calling me to check how it is going. If they call before that I just tell them they are in line I wont even look to see where in line they are.

19. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Normally 3-6 months but always before the next deer season. Trying to get everything out by mid-June this year except the handful I've already talked to that will be Sept-Oct due to having surgery the end of June.

20. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

They start coming out in March mostly. A few in Feb. But all done by the next season.