1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy question of the week to ponder-Hog Teeth/tusks

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., May 11, 2011.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

My "question of the week"- Many experienced Taxidermiists say you cannot, or advise against using real teeth in hog shoulder/life size mounts under the premise that they will crack over time. I just pulled some extra tusks from the back circa 2005 to use as a replacement in a hog skull and it got me pondering.

If it is not advised to use the real teeth/tusks in a shoulder mount then why is it an accepted practice to use them in a skull mount?

2. gab

gab Active Member

we've been using real teeth exclusively since ive been here with zero complaints

3. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

After reading your post, I just went and checked a warthog, a javelin and 3 wild boars, skull mounts. All had at least one cracked tusk. Could be something I did, but I do think they do have that tenancy

4. Because it would simply be too expensive to cast and recreate each tooth as an individual for a skull. Where as the "jawset" can be cast as 2 pieces and sold reasonable.. AND with the advent of the jawset we can offer an additional "trophy" to our clients (the skull) with the original teeth.

5. Ive got a hog that Ive had for years and havent noticed that the teeth have cracked, still good

6. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I was told by a old german guy when I was stationed over their.. as most guys over their have a euro mount done of their trohys, to include some HUGE woid boars with HUGE teeth..

He had several sets of teeth mounted in european tradition on his wall.. some as old as 30-40 years old..dozens of big boar tusks, a set of wart hog tusks, Hippo teeth and some other teeth..

Anyway.. the teeth were cleaned real good in and out.. then a clear wax candle was heated up and the melted WAX poured inside the tooth to the top.. once cooled the wax was hard and clear.. I was told the reason for the teeth cracking is the moisture, dry, moisture, dry.. back and forth climate of the seasons.. maybe the dudes smoking crack, but his teeth werent cracked..

Hoytman

7. cwt

cwt Active Member

I always thought the same thing. But it would also be a lot more labor involved in that. So it would have to be quoted at a higher price. Around me that they wouldn't care. "If cost more I don't want it" is the attitude

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Maybe this is not an issue in a humid environment. I have boar teeth that are ages old and not cracking.

9. I kinda wonder if people cook the skulls make them brittle and prone to crack from heat expansion? Just a thought. We know what heat will do to canines.

10. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Often wondered that myself MP.
    I've heard of filling them with foam like Hoytman said with the wax will keep them from cracking.

11. Nyati

Nyati I love tahr huntin

We always us the real teeth, tusks and grinders down here and I have never heard of any cracking.

12. snowman623

snowman623 Member

I have a mount bout 12 years old, real teeth, no cracks. I had a coyote tooth crack after simmering, but I think it got to hot and boiled. Dont see how moisture wolud penetrate a tooth, although epoxy poured in the hollow tusk should prevent any problems.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Ok, let me stretch this question. How many here do hog euros for customers, but use artificial jawsets in customer boar shoulder mounts and why?

14. I'll bite. You talkin bout the same customer or customer's in general? More economical I guess.

15. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

It's this way for me. On the Euros, the teeth are already there. I finish with paraloid. Maybe it staves off cracking for some time, maybe not, never had any complaints that I know of, but I have no doubt they do crack in time. The best thing to do may well be to fill them, but I don't. For a shoulder mount, I skin it off and toss the skull, why fool around taking them out? I'm going to use an artificial jaw set anyway and the tusks that come with it fit it, I don't have to make them fit. To answer your question, for me, it's about ease and time, not neccesarily one being right over the other.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm basically with Randy on this one, but I've seen them quite brittle as they age and the WILL crack. I think Jesse's explanation is valid in the tusk drying out.

Next comes the work. All of you know that when macerated, the teeth are loose. If you were to use them, you're going to have to glue them, but then the real work starts. The gum tissue has to be built around that jawset which is tedious work.

17. Diamond D Taxidermy

Diamond D Taxidermy I HAVE to grow old...I DON'T have to grow up!

Well it may be overkill on my part..just don't know..but I make sure I get as much of the "pulp" out of the tooth as possible and then I pour in some resin. I just sort of thought the pulp inside the tooth may start to rot and cause issues. Incidentally, I do know that if a person is cremated or burned to ashes, as in some crashes, and there is a tooth, that many times the pulp can be retrieved from the tooth for DNA since the burned bones (ashes) won't have any DNA left. So that tells me there is tissue inside the tooth that needs to be removed.

18. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have had a few crack that were in euros, one was really bad and it split in half. All were beetle cleaned to. I prefer to use the cast ones in mounts, never going to see them crack and you can make them look pretty convincing as well.

19. shammy

shammy New Member

Had a customer that wanted a close mouth on his Boar and insisted on me using the real tusk. I told him they would crack but he still wanted the tusk. And no jawset. He wanted the tusk sticking out as much as possible. He said if I wouldn't do it to save the tusk and he would put them in himself. So I macerated the tusk off and let them dry. I then got them located in the form and took em back out and filled them with magic smooth. When they were hard I put them in the form with magic smooth as well. He was happy as a lark when he picked it up. But I again reminded him that they may crack. Havent heard anything since from him.