1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

baiting ban lifted in Michigan, your thoughts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by ccook63, May 12, 2011.

1. I just watched the news and saw that the DNR lifted the baiting ban. I just wondered what everybody thinks good or bad please share.

Personally I think it is a good thing for a couple of reasons the first being that now I can bait along with all the people that were doing it illegally any way. The second being that in the late season we always thin the does out that are crippled and living off the feeder usually three or four a year.

I also think that it puts them in the open so you can pick your shot a little easier.
    Just my own opinion.

Curtis

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Local farmers growing carrots and other vegetables can now sell what ever and where ever they want, business is a good thing. Like it or hate it, it is legal again and some are going to embrace it, and some will look down on it as a crutch. The "hard core-free range" idiots will say that it is a crutch while they hedge their chances with the newest hightech equipment over apples and carrots. The pot calling the kettle black.

3. Mr. T said it perfectly, and for some reason its ok to hunt over a food plot but not a pile of apples? Never could figure that one out. This ban didn't stop many from baiting, only made it illegal to do so.

4. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it. It's all a personal preference. The farmers are going to make more money and the seed company less. In my experience the "quality" of deer that come to the feeders are not what trophy hunters are looking for it is more of a meat hunters game. While we are on this subject, how many people have shot a "trophy" quality buck on a feeder? I personally have never seen one at a feeder. I see lots of pictures of them at feeders in other states?
    Ralph

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Heck yes, I will bait now. However, if they plant corn in the right spot this year, I will need no bait.

6. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I don't bait, but I am all for it.

7. linder

linder New Member

WE HAVE A NORTERN AND SOTHERN ZONES HERE IN G.A. AND THERE LETING THE NORTHENERS BAIT BUT NOT THE SOUTHENER PART DONT MAKE SINCE, WERE ALL ALOWED 15,DEER A YEAR AND THE HOLE TIME IS EITHER SEX ,BUT NOT SEEING ANYWERE NEAR THE DEER WE USE TO. THERE BLAMING THE COYOTEY FOR THAT BUT I WONDER IF THIS IS NOT JUST PLAYING INTO THE HANDS OF THE ANTI'S.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

No, they want all the deer up North,,, where the bait is. Get over it.

9. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

about time they lifted it. I agree with Curtis. now I can bait with all the others who were still doing it.

10. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I am a MASTER at it!

11. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Oh brother, ::)

Man Michigan has been softening up on you Michiganders, first Crossbows and now bait piles!

12. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Use it for bow.never for rifle ; sit watching funnels and travel areas.that's were the bucks are !

13. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    With all the land getting leased up i see it happening more and more with people trying to draw the deer away from this property.
    There's been alot of big buck's shot over a corn pile around here , it's just the hunter's don't admit it. Usually if you listen to the
    story long enough it will slip out . I saw it happen a couple of year's ago with a guy that had this big buck and had an elaborate
    story to go with it, but it was ruined when his 11 year old son spilled the bean's.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If it is legal,, that is how the game will be played. They want deer off of the roads, and population down. I do not see any point in bashing it, it is not wrong, everyone uses bait to go fishing with,, it is the same difference.

15. nokes

nokes New Member

Where did you see that? DNR site stills says its banned. I would be careful until there is official work from the DNR

16. Don't count your chickens yet. At this point they are just talking strongly in that direction. The NRC has to change the rules. I think they are going to propose the changes, but it's still up for a vote of some type.

You can go to MUCC's website for the latest on the issue.

Here is a link to their page: http://www.mucc.org/index.php/hot-button/comments/the_bait_debate_episode_three

17. I saw it on a local news channel wood tv 8 out of GR. They also said there there would be a two gallon limit.

18. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Speak for yourself T, I don't use bait fishing. The bite has been very slow sinse I started this but when I get one it's a true trophy. Starting to see bigger ones too.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Justin, worms and hot & tots, you better have both when you hit Saginaw bay. ;-)

20. It'll be June 9th before it will be decided on----Could happen , its in Debate right now----sb