1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rush delivery

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Becky P, May 13, 2011.

1. yes

50.0%
  2. no

13.8%
  3. under special circumstances

20.7%
  4. never, get in line

8.6%
  5. thinking about it

6.9%
  1. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Just want to know how many offer a rush turnaround. I know the pros/cons so I don't need a debate about it.
    Thanks

2. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Nope. 1st come 1st serve..

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

1st come 1st serve does not make more money. I'm in business, not a lunch line.

You damn right I'll bump something up for more money!

4. DanB

DanB New Member

Yep, I certainly do it. I even have it listed on my website and many clients go for it. Many! I used to list it as a "rush charge" but some clients were confused by it, they thought I would hurry and rush the mount no matter how it looked. So now I have it as a "priority service".

5. gab

gab Active Member

don't offer it,but if the sob story's good enough,i rush it at no extra fee.I'm into taxidermy more for the fun anyway. ::)

6. michael p.

LOL!

7. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I'll do about anything for some extra money. Also things don't go in exact order all the time because of doing things in batches and also I need to stay as efficient as possible and if that means doing someone's ahead of some others so be it. Also if I know that some guys are going to take a big deer they shot to our area sport show to get scored and hung on the wall I will get those done ahead of others so that I get a bunch of advertising in side by side comparison of mounts hanging on the wall. I usually haul them there myself and enter them and get my buisiness tag attached to the sheet and the customers come and find my booth at the show and pay or their mounts at the show and take them when finished. I don't charge any extra for that because its great advertising for me.

8. I don't do them in order. I just tell everyone 3-5 months. Some are done in one month - some 5 months. I usually do really good repeat customers deer first and if I can get a kid's first buck done by Christmas I do it!
    Bruce

9. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Sure do .

10. dougp

dougp Active Member

My work week is about 50-60hrs. on average. That's to take care of my regular production work which is done by date of receipt of deposit in order.

If someone wants a "rush" then I have to spend more of my normally off hours doing that job, which relates to at least 1.5 - 2x my regular price.

Didn't our various UNIONS show us the way on that one...? ;)

DougP

11. Becky P

That's kinda what I've been thinking.

Those of you that do it, what is your turnaround time on a rush job vs regular? And do you get paid in full up front? I've put a few a head of others before for special occassions then had them not pick them up when they said they wanted them. Have decided if I ever do it again, it'll be all paid up front.
    Just kicking around some ideas. Thanks.

12. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Considering I tan my own I could have it done for them 3 weeks if they wanted to pay me enough. Havent had anyone want it that badly yet but i could do it. I know MP could probably have one done in less than a week. Pay upfront would probably be the best way to do it I'd think. Usually if someone wants it done ahead of time its for a birthday or xmas or a deer show of some kind. My favorites are for a special birthday where they are having a big party like a 50th or a 40th or something. Get er done the day before the party and they will be showing all their huntin buddies at their party. Advertising advertising advertising. and free, well actually your getting paid extra ;) Also as Bruce said, getting them done for the first timer kids earlier is great too. The kids family and friends eat it up and love that you go out of your way to make a child happy (and those are the ones I never charge for). Its all good buisiness. For those that don't ever do anything out of order think about the benefits of being more efficient and the perks of advertising when doing so. You may just start doing it.

13. Becky P

Thanks.

14. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I am curious to know what people are charging extra for this "Rush Service".

15. michael p.

Depends. You want it in 30 days or it's cost plus around 50%.....2 weeks it's double. But in January I had the ranch manager of one place ask if the boss could have his back in a month. He had brought in 5 animals that day and said the boss' was the only one there needed to be a rush on which they had never asked for before so I just got it done and said thank you :)

You can make some good extra money on rush service though and it's good to push yourself to the limit but still get paid for it

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

I have done it in the past, and still do if clients are willing to pay the 50% charge for it.