1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First lifesize, second coyote... critique?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Lupen, May 14, 2011.

1. Lupen

Lupen New Member

I've just been teaching myself so far... though I'd love to go to a school eventually. So any tips, suggestions, etc. are very much appreciated. :)

This is my first lifesize, but is my second coyote. The first 'yote I mounted was just a shoulder mount, which you can see here, if you'd like to see it as well. Aside from the two coyotes, I've done two fox soft mounts but that's about it. I enjoy mounting coyotes more though, I think.

As I said, any tips or suggestions you have are very much appreciated and will be very helpful as well. Love taxidermy and I'd love to be able to improve... I know I still need a lot of practice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    Congrats on getting your first lifesize completed! Compared to your first yote you've made some progress. A few things to focus on next go 'round... Make sure and turn your ears completely and get your liners all the way to the tips. This will prevent the edges from curling on you. Sink them into the head a little and tilt them forward a bit to keep the rain out. Make sure and get all the cartilage out of the nose and add enough critter clay to fill and shape it when your mounting. This helps prevent shrinkage. Cut the nose off the mannikin to help you get the muzzle length right. Watch out for using too much epoxy. When everything is in the right spot you won't need it. (or at least you'll only need a tiny bit) Check your reference on your hair patterns. The leg skin needs to rotate to the inside on that rear leg, and last but not least, watch how much clay you put in the feet. Keep at it, your on the right path. :)

3. Lupen

Lupen New Member

Thank you for the advice ^^ one thing that I did notice was the leg, and I did leave the nose on the mannikin. Will definetly take it off next time and sculpt my own... and I actually didn't use any clay on the feet.

4. cwt

cwt Active Member

Ears are not turned all the way. Tuck the lip line more so you are not seeing the black skin around the mouth. And when doing your finish work blend/feather the epoxy more with a paint brush. Nose looks to low on the muzzle. Reference is the key. I am guilty of not using it as much as I should.

5. Lupen

Lupen New Member

Tried to tuck the lips better and I repositioned the ears a bit, thought he looked a bit too alert...didn't rehydrate his face enough to do anything to the nose though.. just going to have to work on that on my next mount.

But I do think, just by tucking his lips, he looks a bit better. I still see some flaws, but... oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure the lips could probably be tucked better... but there wasn't much to tuck on the front of the bottom lip. So that's why theres a bit of the black showing... and I had some problems with the front of the top lip too, but I think it turned out alright... better than before at least.

6. Lupen

Lupen New Member

Learned a lot already from just looking up tutorials and other threads on this site, and I know this post is almost a month old, but I'm still looking for tips and critique on him after repositioning his ears, tucking his lips better, etc. before I mount my next coyote...

7. Wow! How long have you been working on him? I just wondering how long it typically takes someone new. It's cute - he looks like he's sitting still waiting for a treat!