1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wildlife Gallery Buys Modern Fur Dressing

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by *, Mar 28, 2007.

1. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Good luck always Roger Smith
    I've known you for 20 years. I wish you well with the sculpting and creative arts phase of your life.
    My Best
    Dennis
    Rogers new road....www.rogerswildlifeart.com
    Wish him sucess!

2. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I got the letter today in the mail. It looks like The Wildlife Gallery is the next Mckenzie. They bought Roger Smith out. Kind of dissapointed. I just switched to Roger after using the gallery and now its time to hunt for someone else! Best of luck Roger.

3. WBB793

WBB793 New Member

I am a furdresser, I too have known roger for years!! I can help you out. I am small but good!! In Michigan

4. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

I don't get it? Why would a successful tannery, but another tannery in the same state? Good word of mouth, from Taxidermists, should be able to dispose of any regional competition. I would think, you could buy equipment, if needed, from other sources, without buying a whole business. Its just MY opinion, but it don't make sense.

5. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Why not buy a successful company that makes a profit?
    Wildlife Gallery is looking to make more profit, increase market share, Make money for it's investors, ect. Taking over a turnkey operation that can ease it's massive burden and increase turn around time is only smart business, Thia deal makes money from the moment it changes hands.
    Yep they are close to each other just around the corner, and makes a lot of sense to me.
    Good Luck to both.

6. Now Nate and Co. will have the capability to process Giraffe, Hippo, Rhino, and Elephant. Way to go guys! Good luck Roger in the new focus of your business.

7. david is correct, now instead of having to subcontract the larger animals to modern fur dressing for tanning (as they were doing in the past) they can do them at their new location.

8. 300savage

300savage Life Is Good

PA
    I agree with * and I too wish both parties the best of luck

9. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

First off, let me make this absolutely clear. I really couldn't care less which tannery buys who or what. I only wish to debate the wisdom of buying another tannery, in the same state. First off, tanning is a service oriented business. You cant, and will never be able to buy market share. There are too many Tannery's out there to choose from. I can see buying a Tannery in Texas, for example, to tap a new market. In my opinion, less than 10% of Moderns customer list, will actually use the new owner. The rest will choose to ship to new tanners. McKenzie is a supplier of goods, so it is possible to corner the market, with money, and investors. Tanning is not that way. A Taxidermist will do it theirself, or use another tanner, before they ship to a Tannery they dont like. Tanning giraffe, hippo, rhino, etc, is not even close, to a reasonable reason for buying a Tannery. Large skins like these are definitely a minority of skins taken in, and they make the least profit, because of the man hours involved. Machinery could be bought to handle the work. I wouldn't think these skins make up more than 2-4 percent of gross income, and thats being generous. Bottom line to me, is, you cant increase market share, by buying a Tannery, in the same state, especially if said Tannery is in direct competition for Taxidermy work in the area.

10. bundy

bundy New Member

keep thinking oldshaver you"ll figure it out

11. Tanning giraffe, hippo, rhino, etc, is not even close, to a reasonable reason for buying a Tannery

I am not sure what the buying decisions were, I haven't talked to them. In fact, this thread was news to me. I just know that they used to farm their hides out and were hit for that in these very forums. Now they can work on developing another "capability". Which also requires "ability". Good Luck to all involved I say!

12. One of the other benefits is they are aquiring a talented work force with years of experience and knowledge that is not readily available. As all of us in the tanning industry realize, this is not an easy job. The number of people with any skill sets related to this industry is a shrinking pool of talent most are older and wont be around forever. So as oppossed to having to hire and train dozens of new employees and hope that a few good ones actually become competant. They were able to aquire not only the business that they were shipping all there large animals out too at considerable expense and their equipment, but they also kept the entire staff. That was a very smart move. I dont think it was a case of trying to buy market share as much as it was a decision of economy of scale and control. good work force specialized equipment and realativly close proximity...why reinvent the wheel? even if they kept none of the existing customer base now they can be more competative in the prices they will charge for doing the larger animals and have control of production.

13. fur man

fur man New Member

I don't think the Gallery really has to work that hard on market share. It seems like I have had this conversation before. In every circle but one, in a state south of MI(you knowe who you are) It is understood that the Gallery is already the nuber one tannery in the nation.......yeah I said it again........please don't rough me up all you "old timers" They were recently named as one the top 50 companies in MI to watch. It sounds to me that they are not wet behind the ears anymore.

14. oldshaver

oldshaver Guest

Nuber one? Do you mean south east? :-* :-* :-* Flatulence at its finest!

15. fur man

fur man New Member

number one.......like that should be your number one priority to expand YOUR business. maybe Nate could give you some pointers on staying relevant in the market today. Or you could just keep it as it is. If your employees and share holders don't expect much than they will be easy to please.