1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

deer eats a bird...has any one seen this...pics added

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 689, May 14, 2011.

1. 689

689 Well-Known Member

http://www.evilchili.com/videos/34990/Deer_Eats_A_Bird

2. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    Re: deer eats a bird...has any one seen this

Two weeks ago I would have said "NOWAY"!!! ...BUT.......... Saw it for myself in my deer pen. One of my deer "ate" a bluejay! They are turning on us people! It is just a matter of time before.......WE......... BECOME THE HUNTED! Seriously...watch your back coming out of your deer stand! (insert "Twilight Zone" music here)

3. 689

689 Well-Known Member

hahahaha..i knew there was a reason that they had the upper "fangs".....next we will have to keep deer away from the dogs and cats

4. Ron B

Alabama

Last year one of my bucks was rutting and really acting aggressive towards me through the fence. (we never go in there) My wife said he didn't act that way towards her when she went up there! I told her he is just pissed at me cause I am the dominant male around here ;) Later that day she came into my shop holding her hand saying "Your &*(7 deer BIT me".

I told her she was crazy! I'd never heard of a deer "biting" somebody! I went up to the fence and he immediately came up to me. I reached through to scratch his ears and the fool bit me like a Rottweiler! There are evil forces afoot my friends! And some of you people "cried" when watching Walt Disney's Bambi didn't you! Don't let them fool you! They are not the innocent beast we have always thought!

5. 689

689 Well-Known Member

hahaahah oh man....darn deer...

6. 11th hour

11th hour Member

Over at a another forum I visit quite a bit there was a fellow talking about witnessing deer eating gut piles from other deer. I just figured they where attracted to the stomach contents. Now I've got to wonder.

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Nice source of calcium?
    *shudder*
    Poor baby bird.

8. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

I have seen trail camera pictures of a deer crunching on the legs of a rabbit. In the dead of winter, they will eat anything! lol If anyones interested I can try and find the pics.

9. WFT

WFT New Member

Just to let you guys know I have already cornered the market on "BLUEBIRD" deer feed so dont be getting any ideas>>> ;D

10. Ron B

Alabama

I have never seen evidence of deer "eating" gut piles, but I know from experience they are attracted to them! I often used buckets of guts to trap coyotes and deer will constantly come and investigate! Most hunters think they are scared of the smell of blood and gut piles but the opposite is true! Have even seen game cam pictures of them checking out gut piles. I hope they DON"T eat' them though :-\ Deer are starting to creep me out!

11. Ron B

Alabama

Back off you gold digger!!! I am already filing a patent on my new "Tink's Rhode Island Red in heat" deer attractant!

12. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Several years ago I raised a fawn in the house with me. I pretty much treated her like I would a puppy, and she would respond in proper manner. I never denied a dog for begging at the table, and I didn't deny the fawn.

I've always been a real regular eater of deer meat when I've had it. Fried is my first choice. I questioned how my barbaric eating habits were going to affect the fawn. Nights that I had deer meat, her begging was more intense. Her eyebrows were raised, her eyes were keen, and focused in the direction of my plate, and there was a lot of tail wagging.

I finally gave in and offered her a piece, thinking I was wasting a perfectly good piece of deer meat. Man, did I guess that one wrong. She liked that fried deer meat as much as I did. From there out I shared with my cannibal fawn.

13. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Carbon is all the same carbon.

14. WFT

WFT New Member

I had heard before that they would eat meat.....but to watch one make a kill has blown my mind. I cant figure out if the deer thought that the bird was injured and was doing the humane thing or was he actually doing a stalk. Absolutely amazed just seeing it>even the lady filming was freaking out.

15. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

did u see that? he ate a BARD!
    i think disney got it wrong in Snow White and the Seven Dwarves when they depicted birds landing on the deers antlers and chit when they were cleaning the cottage...

16. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio

That Deer was just so cool and nonchalant! There was either something wrong with the bird on the ground, or perhaps it was a youngster that fell from the nest box? Survival for the deer. His antlers are growing ... extra protein! Nature may be beautiful but it isn't always pretty! Life finds a way ...

John.

17. Nancy C

The way that the other birds were behaving makes it pretty clear to me that it was a baby on the ground. They wouldn't have cared, otherwise. 'Probably just out of the nest and not able to fly well enough to gain altitude. Ooops.

18. Ron B

Alabama

Well.......All this has screwed up our plans! We were just recently discussing raising our own meat chickens! We figured we could "semi" free range them inside my deer pens which have chicken wire all around the bottom! Kill two birds with one fence so to speak! 8) BUT NOW!!!!!!!! Maybe not :mad: :mad: LOL! However..........if some of my bucks suddenly put on an extra hundred inches of antler.............Hmmmmmmm! Maybe onto something!

19. Nancy C

Maybe it would be okay if you kept the chickens separate until they were past the "bite-sized crunchy snack" phase?

20. Silverbrook

Silverbrook New Member

Be careful about putting birds in with your deer. The birds get into the feeders and poop all over. The deer eat the grass and other feed that has been tainted and get sick. Deer crave protien when growing antlers. I baked cookies last night for mine. Oatmeal (minus the sugar) with molasis ,oats, soybeans, sunflower seeds,alfalfa pellets and all the mineral they need. I also added the eggs to the recipe as directed. I found out this morning THEY LOVE THEM !!! and follow me around the pen begging for more.
    Our typical buck now has about 6'' of velvet antlers that are as big around at the bases as a tennis ball. He gets all the protien and mineral he wants. phil