1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

deer eats a bird...has any one seen this...pics added

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 689, May 14, 2011.

1. Re: deer eats a bird...has any one seen this

Wow! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

2. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Re: deer eats a bird...has any one seen this

If I remember my science right, at one point ungulates were carnivores that eventually made the switch to veggies...maybe sometimes the old genes get a hankerin' for some flesh...who knows. Animals do strange things sometimes.

LMAO! Cannibal Fawn! It sounds like the name of a rock band. Glen, thanks for making my night with that story!

3. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Not a deer, but I have seen a film of a sheep eating grouse chicks on a heather moor.

4. Re: deer eats a bird...has any one seen this

Oh mother nature!.... You are so very entertaining... ;D

5. bubba z

bubba z New Member

I was grilling steaks at my buddies place in big pine key when a key deer grabbed a steak off the grill and took off with it in it's mouth but those garbage digging key deer will eat about anything.

6. Re: deer eats a bird...has any one seen this

I have come up with a new product "chickadee sprinkle" if someone is interested.

7. Re: deer eats a bird...has any one seen this

Although I have not seen it myself, I have been told of Red deer eating lapwing chicks from a nest. The person who witnessed this had watched as a parent bird frantically dived at the deer trying to save the nestlings. A deer is the last creature anyone would expect to be a danger to ground nesting birds! Wishing you well, stargazer.

8. Re: deer eats a bird...has any one seen this

I'm surprised you didn't know they will bite seeing that you take care of them. All the guys I know that work on ranches working with them have scars from getting bit. First thing they tell you if your around them is watch out for them, they will bite the living chit out of you!

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Its hard to get bit, as they dont have top incisors, lol, so that would be a surprise for sure. My deer have eaten birds and also young rabbits, but in my opinion its boredom as much as anything else. The basic deer feed has way more protein then most deer need, and in some cases, can use.

10. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I just can't see a deer biting. I have been around them occasionally in a pen and not once did I see that behavior. Not saying they don't. I guess in the right circumstance they might. It would be more like a lipping than a biting.

11. WFT

WFT New Member

Greg, try going in a pen during the rut with one of the bucks and tell me if one will bite or not. They get a pissy attitude during that time and there is no telling what they might do. Not for sure on this nut i would say the older the buck the more pissy the mood during the rut. ???

12. Re: deer eats a bird...has any one seen this

anyone see video of that deer who is "protecting" a mother goose in some cemetery? on another forum there was much speculation that the deer was actually protecting it's not=yet=hatched meal, lol.

13. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Once upon a time I was sharing a bag of Cheetos with my pygmy goat and he bit my finger and split the nail the full length. I had Cheetos crumbs sticking to my fingers and I wasn't feeding him fast enough to suit. He stood up on his hinds just enough to elevate the front end so he could get my finger back on those premolars. A deer wouldn't have to stand up. Look at the size of an apple and think in terms of substituting human appendages for biting.

14. livbucks

I was never permitted in any deer pen during or even close to the rut. If I were, I would be more concerned with other assaults on my person than a bite.
    I never said it was not possible, just that I have not seen it. I'll take your words for it, guys.

15. Bill Yox

Ok not for anything, but I also dont do the rut thing for very obvious reasons, but I do spend time near them but outside the fence. Ill agree theyre the most nasty sons of Bs you could imagine. I myself have never been bit in that context, and thats 20 some years worth of opportunity. I wont say they dont, but like my first post, Id be just as surprised as the rest of you. As for getting it with the molars, lol, I just dont let my fingers get THAT far down, I know the grinders are there ;). BTW, in the rut a dominany and active male WILL mouth everything, and look like hes trying to taste the air as well as scent it. Its very obvious and almost comical, and my vocal bucks will even almost growl while doing it. Like when a dog mutters and almost sings...

16. Bill Yox

Ok anyone interested in pics? I just took some pictures of a young buck eating a sparrow. If someone with more time (and brains) than I have would post them here for all to see, call my cell and Ill send the pics as texts if you wouldnt mind. 585-330-9630. Thanks!!!

17. livbucks

Re: deer eats a bird...has any one seen this...pics pending !!

I would, but I never figured out how to get cell phone pictures out of my phone.

18. jimhow

jimhow Member

Bills pics:

Attached Files:

19. jimhow

jimhow Member

one more

Attached Files:

20. Bill Yox

Thanks for posting those Jim, they were from my cell phone while out in the pen. Not the best pic quality, but I was there, and he sure ate it.