1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

skinning crappie

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by little fred, May 15, 2011.

1. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

what is the best way to skin and flesh a crappie with out dramatic scale loss...
    and suggestions...

i understand you are supose to flesh from tail to head is this a scale saving way,,,,,,i even lose them that way also but not only crappie but trout and other small scaled fish also..
    so what is the secreat,,,,,,i am desprate to know. ;D :)

freddy

2. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Type "crappie scales" in the search box and you'll find lots of answers to your question.

3. Very carefully and with a small knife

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Wrap them in newspaper, and put them in the freezer...no plastic bag. Leave them there for 6 months, and they will skin with very little scale loss.

5. wildwings

wildwings New Member

then you can read the paper as your painting your fish from 6 months ago :)

6. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

LOL! :D

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Most newsprint will was off...I wouldn't use the Sunday comics to wrap it in though!

8. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

just paint a coat of elmers glue or modge podge on the show side of the fish and let it dry, then skin as normal. When you put the skin in your soak all glue will melt away and scales will all be intact.

9. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

All i do is skin very carefully and get the main part of the body out (don't skin it out too close to the skin, leave meat on the skin) than i fill the inside with salt and put the fish on a bed of salt, and salt over the top. This will take 10 to 20 minutes to stiffen up the scales, than i gently get the meat cleaned off the skin and than do what you do with a normal fish.

10. slabbandit

slabbandit Active Member

I have come to really like leaving my thawed crappie covered in salt for 8 hours then just dust the big part of the salt off and clean. I think a lot of your problem, correct me if I'm wrong guys, is that you should only scrap a fish up or down, never from head to tail or vice-versa.
    Dave

11. the god mother

the god mother New Member

here
    ??? wont the glue mess with the tanning solution?
    tgm or the salt......

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

nope

I just use lots of borax to keep it dry and go slow. Removing the head helps too.

13. highlander

NOP. I use borax and water with a little denatured alcohol so it hurts nothing. Just rinse your skin when you remove from the soak

14. the god mother

the god mother New Member

here
    ok thank's i will try that ....? how long do you soak your fish skin's
    tgm

15. highlander

I use 1 cup of borax per gallon of water and then add some alcohol and a cap of clorox (about an ounce) and let them soak overnight. The reason for the clorox is to lighten any really dark fish so its easier to paint. It will fade the dark color in the skin. Just dont put no more than a cap if you use it as it will deteriate the skin between the rays of the fins. Hope this helps

16. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

York, SC
    All these are good points
    I also cut the head off
    Saves the scales when your cleaning out the head