1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Coyote - Hair Slipping

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tmmolan, May 17, 2011.

1. tmmolan

tmmolan New Member

Texas
    I am brand new at this...but thought it was an interesting hobby to start.

I am starting off with a coyote shoulder mount. I ordered a kit from Van Dyke's and followed all of the instructions to the best of my ability, (just got through with the tanning stage), but I am having trouble now with the hair slipping on the ears. I have ordered the Stop-Rot and I am now waiting for it to arrive. My problem is that I now have a bald spot on one ear....how do I fix this? :-\

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

You can replace the ear using one from another cape. You can use a scrap piece of hide sewn or glued over the bald spot taking care to have the hair laying in the same direction then you can use electric shears to cut the hair to a matching length. You can also put a thin layer of apoxy sculpt,use a brush to give it the texture of hair and then airbrush, or (and this would be the easiest by far) just airbrush over the spot using a color that blends well with the color of the hair. Any solution to repairing hair slippage on the ears will require skill acquired through experience. It is best of course, to prevent slippage in the first place and Stop-Rot will help you out there. Carnivores are notorious for slipping and learning to handle the hides is the best solution, but that too takes time. I would recommend airbrushing, or painting over the spot and chalk it up to experience. While it will be good experience trying to fix the slipped spot, you very well may end up making it look a lot worse in the process. Taxidermy is a great hobby, but it is an art that is not quickly or easily mastered. Welcome to the world of taxidermy, a great place to learn patience! Best of luck to you!

MLP

3. tmmolan

tmmolan New Member

Texas
    Thanks Mike. I really appreciate all of the information you gave me. I will figure out which route to take in a day or two when my Stop-Rot gets here. I'm just afraid it is too big of an area to try just the airbrushing... and since I don't have much experience in that area either I might just make it worse... I like the patching idea though...

Again, thanks for the response.

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Just so you know, if you have the hide positioned like you want and you let it dry, that too will stop the slippage. I am a huge Stop-Rot fan, but it will not undo any skin that has already slipped or has deteriorated to the point of slipping. I give ALL my predator skins a good spraying as soon as I skin them out. Particularly in the face area. Good luck!