1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

GYOTAKU tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by davidp, May 18, 2011.

1. A few people have been interested in how to do this. I am no expert but this is my method. It took 25 minutes to do this fish. All of my supplies were purchased from hobby lobby. Supplies needed: pointed brush( for eyes), 2 one inch brushes, acrylic paint( whatever suits your fancy), rice paper. This fish was done in less than 25 minutes.

The first step is to thoroughly dry the fish, gently with a towel careful not to lose the scales. This specimen is a 3 lb crappie.
    [​IMG]

the next step I use is to outline the fish with black acrylic paint include the fins and gill plate and mouth. also paint the eyes.
    [​IMG]

next i blend colors in other areas of the fish using the one inch brush
    [​IMG]

next cut your rice paper and gently place it on the fish( let the paper touch the center of the fish) then gentle spread the paper toward the edges. If you take too long, or over saturate the paper will tear. gently lift the paper!
    [​IMG]

here is the finished project
    [​IMG]

I have really enjoyed the usefulness of this website and have gotten a ton of info from here. I hope I may have helped someone.
    Thanks to all who have given me advice.

2. RTF

RTF Active Member

You bought rice paper at Hobby Lobby ?

3. Yes, it comes in a 50 feet roll. Ten dollars.

4. I will have to try that sometime it's pretty neat.

5. nice... hows the clean up off the fish when you want to mount it?

6. It rinses off very easily with no scale loss. The first one I did the non "show side".

7. slater56

slater56 Member

nice job!, thanks for sharing.

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

9. Thanks for sharing! I'd read in another post someone had used a piece of a white sheet for theirs. Wouldn't have to worry about it tearing, as you would with paper. And you could probably use canvas stretchers and make a ready-to hang piece. (Or even use some actual canvas? Be neat to leave it a natural color, as well....) But, using a sheet/canvas probably wouldn't be as 'traditional' as using rice paper. Perhaps it would be Gyotaku with an Amerian twist? =)

I want to try this out...just don't have any fish! LOL!

10. Thanks! I had to give it a try...been wanting to since I saw it on MIA.
    Now I have new fridge art!
    I didn't have a fish...so I used a replica.
    I didn't have rice paper so I used white butcher paper. (dampened for flexibility.)
    I didn't have acrylic tube paint but had some Walmart folk art paint.
    It was fun...I can see how the right materials would help.
    I will try again, but with the replicas I will do the body and head separately. I think that will improve the shape, and not have to fight the flared gills etc.

[​IMG]

11. Bullwhipcracker, yours looks awesome .

12. Thanks!
    Your tutorial took all the guesswork out for me.
    Much appreciated!
    Ron

13. Cool job..)I have been hearing alot about it ,,looks easy enough..something different to do with a fish,,Thanx for sharing :)

14. den007

den007 Active Member

These things can turn a good profit for a little work. Figure out how to sign your name ( or the angler's) with a brush in Japanese characters, frame it, and you can charge up the wazoo for these. If you are like me and never catch any fish, you can do a silicone 1/2 cast and crank the things out like crazy.

I hope to display some soon on here. I have always admired this art form.

Some silicone 1/2 casts are available through NASCO if you want to practice.

Also, you can make a nice "flag" for in front of your shop to let folks know a fish head lives here!

15. RTF

RTF Active Member

Did not know they sell it. I will check mine out. Thanks for the tips.

16. NOAH@aarrkk

NOAH@aarrkk Well-Known Member

GA
    You can also make t-shirt art as well. Let the acrylics dry and then turn the shirt inside out and iron to heat set the paints.