1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat In Freezer

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tmmolan, May 18, 2011.

1. tmmolan

tmmolan New Member

Texas
    I have a silly question that I probably already know the answer to.... my husband shot a bobcat about 2 years ago that is still in our freezer. I was thinking about starting on him after I finish this coyote... has he been in there to long? Does the freezer damage the hide after a while? ???

I have him double bagged, but he has not yet been skinned out.

2. Thaw him out and check for freezer burn. Especially in the face and the extremeties.

3. Freezer burn ain't no problem, You can mix an alum tan and put the skin directly into the tan. Still use Oxalic acid and drop the pH to 2.0. Have a larger tub so the skin is not cramped. You may need to open the ears a little at a time or inject them with the tan. Same for toes and tail.

4. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Ears could give you a little trouble. In my experience, which is fairly limited I haven't had any problem with freezer burn on critters that haven't been skinned. I did a bobcat for my brother in-law it was in the freezer for quite sometime before I got it. Had no problems with anything. I'd think you should be good to go on it!!

5. your problem isnt a probem . thaw it and use some relaxer on the ears unless the cat has been against the wall of the frezzer you probly dont have frezzzer burn anyway i do a bunch of cats some with and some with out go slow and you should be able to split with a dull butter knife witha rounded out tip mark c

6. tmmolan

tmmolan New Member

Texas
    Thanks everyone... I appreciate every response I got... I will start working on this and let ya'll know soon if there were any issues!