1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Moyle Mink and Tannery Hides Seized by FF&W

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Aaronhunts, May 18, 2011.

1. Aaronhunts

Aaronhunts New Member

Just found out today that my clients lynx was seized by FF&W from Moyle Mink and Tannery along with 200+ other skins. If you have had any CITIES animals to be tanned by them and haven't received them back, this is probably why. I'm beyond pissed, but they are supposed to be getting me contact numbers for the Fish and Game so I can supply them with our CITIES permit info. They will never see another hide from me after this. I used them a long time ago and the tanning was fine but now the business seems to be subject! The link below is a story from their local paper.

http://politicalgame.blogspot.com/2011/03/moyle-mink-mess.html

2. mmwtdh

mmwtdh Member

No story at that link........

3. Aaronhunts

Aaronhunts New Member

Sorry. Here's the link;
    http://politicalgame.blogspot.com/2011/03/moyle-mink-mess.html

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sorry you missed the post about this back at the end of February when it was reported.

5. teepeetommy

teepeetommy New Member

No wonder they can tan so cheap!!!!! . . . . . . =P

Weren't your hides tagged with Cities Tags?

We have a chicken house in town that makes most of every ones MC Nasties and Tyson "select" "premium" "natural" chicken. . . .. lol. . . my Better halfs mother worked at that chicken slaughter house for 5 years when she was 16 and said it was nothing but mexicans and knee deep in blood and guts. . . . They got busted for having 3 mexies stealing Americans Socials to get a job and claim they were legal. . Try being on a busy intersection when one of their gut trucks overturn and cause a big polution issue. . . . I can't imagine a "cheap" commercial tannery being much different. . . . The Wildlife Gallery is where its at unless you need trapper volume tannery then North Carolina Fur Dressing is where its at. . . . . Of couse you could also ways send your trapper tanned wall hangers to me to be tanned =P Im competative. . . . .=P

6. lobolover

lobolover New Member

Maybe Aaronhunts should do his research before he runs his mouth. Just because ICE was there does not mean that they have nothing but illegals working for them. If that was the case they wouldnt be open now. Imagine that. ICE deals with interstate commerce as well. If your Lynx is legal then you have nothing to worry about. They do an exceptional job on their tanning, and if you ever have a problem they will make it right. Plus they mark your hides to wear you get your hide back. Not like other tanneries. Just because your state may not require a CITES tag, does not mean it is not needed. It is a federral law according to the Lacey Act that in order to ship a CITES animal across state lines it must have a CITES tag.

7. Back up the truck lobolover, don't you dare suggest that Moyle is the only tannery that marks hides to make sure the customer gets theirs back, that's a huge insult to all of us who have been in this business for years, maybe you need to also do a little research?

8. George

Keith, you beat me to it. Sounds like this guy, with his ONE post, has a vested interest in MM&T. I don't know of any REPUTABLE tannery that doesn't punch code their work and I don't know of any reputable taxidermist who wouldn't also have his own hides punch coded.

9. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I had grizzly bears and bobcats, wolves, etc. that were confiscated in that raid and I got everything back and everything tanned up great. Ryan Moyle emailed me the next day after that raid and kept me informed. It could of happened to any tannery. Ryan has spent ALOT of time and money behind the scene on lawyers and the like helping insure it will not ever happen again to any other tannery or taxidermist. All of us owe him a big thanks. This was a giant overstep by federal and state law enforcement that was a unfair and unwarranted attack on all tanneries and taxidermists. Its inconceivable to me that any taxidermist wouldn't have their hides punch coded and all paperwork required in place before sending them off to a tannery or even doing them in house. . The reputable tanneries including Moyle always punch code every hide as first order of business immediately after receiving and opening your box and they always will and have.

10. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I have also read and heard that Moyle has been fighting state and federal agencies for years over land right aways and other issues not related to his tannery. I also do not know all the facts, its a on going battle. That still does not make the feds justified any way doing what they did the way they did. I do know Moyle is winning this battle. I got my hides back and they are great and I just sent them more wolves to tan. Nobody even comes close to them for quality bison tanning. As a side note, I send all my capes to Glacier Fur in Kalispell and their cape tan is second to none in my opinion.

11. x4

12. lobolover

lobolover New Member

I think you all need to back up. For one I never said Moyles was the only tannery that punch codes it's hides. Sencond I have no vested interest in Moyles either. I just know a good product when I see it. From my experince with them and it has always been good. I was not notified of my hide being seized until I called to check on it. From what I was told was that all the feds did was write down how many hides were taken from each batch. They didn't give them any punch code so we as clients could be contacted. Not their fault. As for a cheap tan I don’t think their tanning is cheap very competitive. The state fish and game that checked my records thought that the feds were rather over zealous on this. If what James Marsico said is true then I think as a business that utilize these services we should stand behind someone whole is trying to get a law in favor of us.

To me it make sense to say if they had illegals there working they wouldn't be open today. I'm sure they checked that out when they raided the place. From what I was told this is the first time this has happened. The link that was posted is not the local paper. It is a political paper.

13. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I had three bobcat hides confiscated in the raid. I honestly did not know that bobcats needed CITES tags to be shipped out of state to be tanned. This was not a sale on my part, those skins were MINE, I never gave up possession of them. I had a USF&W agent walk in my shop take down the name of each hunter and their phone number who killed the cats. I was very nice, and he was very nice. The Lacey act is for the sale and trade of endangered species across international borders. Mississippi bobcats endangered??? They are so plentiful, that there is no limit on them during trapping season. Ryan Moyle told me I would get them back at some point. The raid crashed his day to day operation for a while. He said everything is pushed back 6 weeks because of the upset in inventory and cataloging. I will continue to use them...it was not their fault that USF&W decided to have a field day at Moyles expense.

14. Not only saying other tanneries don't mark your skins, but also insinuating they don't give your skins back, that's the way it reads to me.

15. George

X2 I only understand one language, and in English, that's exactly what was said.

16. lobolover

lobolover New Member

Once again never said they were the only tannery who marked hides. Read it how you want. I have clearly marked hides sent to a couple other tanneries and clearly did not get back the hides that were mine. If you can explain to me how a black coyote can change to brown then so be it. The raid at Moyles has slowed production but I will still continue to use them. From what I here this is the first time fish and game has gone to their place like this. I wasn't aware of the CITES either but have done plenty of reading on that. The Lacey act is about Cites animals and sorry to say Bobcats are on that list. You van go to the Cites web site and see the list just like I did. It is ridiculous I agree since they are not endangered but they are listed none the less

17. George

I only "read" it one way - the way you wrote it. "NOT LIKE OTHER TANNERIES." You didn't say "some other" or even "many other", you painted everyone with that brush. Which tannery did you use that you didn't get "your" hide back? Tell us so we can avoid them in the future. (BTW, YOU marking the hides has nothing to do with you getting them back. That's for YOUR use. Reputable tanneries mark their OWN punch codes.)

18. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

you would be shocked at how many raids and tickets are given out over personal issues also. A local warden in nc is after two guys because he was mad at them for silly stuff. its amazing the way they get away with a gross abuse of their "powers".