1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dead Turkey Mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by TRKYHTR, May 18, 2011.

1. TRKYHTR

TRKYHTR New Member

I've only mounted a couple of turkeys and I know there are some of the best turkey taxidermist around on this site so I wanted to post this pic and get your thoughts. The problem with a dead mount is that I fought with the idea of making it look dead, ugly, or making it look good but not so lifelike/deadlike. If you know what I mean. Your thoughts.

TRKYHTR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looks dead to me.
    good job, nice paint job on head
    nice spurs

3. If you want criticism. I think scapulars (shoulders) are too low and a little too far apart. My dead reference shows the top of the scaps touching the bottom of the copper speculum on the wing. Your's is about 1-1/2 to 2 inches low. I would also close the wings more than you did. Although I always stretch them out before taking pictures so they look almost like yours. I had the same debate about making it look too dead or grooming it too perfect. Even thought about shoving a few dead leaves in between feathers or tracts. Not a bad mount for only having done " a couple of turkeys"

4. beamerball3o

beamerball3o New Member

I'm not positive but would a dead turkey still have those colorations in the head? The ones that I have seen that are dead are usually all a lightish blue or purple...I could be wrong though

5. CJN

CJN Member

Not to bad for only doing a few. The bird is too symetrical for a dead mount, kick tail off to one side a little, bring one wing in a little and make a slight twist to it so it doesn't look like the other one. The head is not painted right, when dead they have the same pattern of color but all color is very muted, red is light pink, blue is blueish white and dull and white is dull with a pinkish hue. Your on the right track keep at it.

6. TRKYHTR

TRKYHTR New Member

Thats what I meant by making it look dead or look good. I choose to make the head look better. Although I do agree with you. I looked at alot of dead hanging turkeys and they varied from wings being open to wings hugging the body. I think alot has to do with how long the turkeys were hanging. I too pull my wings out to take a picture, they look better that way. Thanks for the comments.

TRKYHTR

7. Joshbritt

Joshbritt New Member

Awesome!

8. buckmaster14

buckmaster14 Sometimes you get lucky...

I agree with the coloration of the head. i personally have never mounted a turkey, but do have some experience with dead turkeys. When turkeys die, the colors in their head fades quick, the red color around the neck area turns white, and i have seen that the blue color turns almost purple, as blood pools into the head. The turkey pictured was never hung up, so the colors are faded, but there isn't much blood in the head of the bird, which is why the blue color is still there.

[​IMG]

9. RTF

RTF Active Member

Hey I think you did a great job.

10. Brian

Brian Active Member

i think the mount looks great. i have to also agree there istoo much red on the head. i would do more blues and purples and then it would look alot better. but either way its a great looking mount. heres a pic of my tom turkeys head 1/2 hour after it was harvested!

Attached Files:

11. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Great looking turkey

12. vetanddamnproud

vetanddamnproud Pray for our troops who are still out in harms way

Looks great to me maybe just wanna dull head colors a littel love how you have hooks on limb

13. Smeja

Smeja New Member

wow great looking mount joe. i wish i had a mount that looked that good

14. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

NC
    It looks very good, and I'm sure your customer will love it!

15. TRKYHTR

TRKYHTR New Member

I'm the customer. Thanks everybody.

TRKYHTR

16. SoCaliTaxi

SoCaliTaxi New Member

Looks good and dead..........awesome

17. royalpalm

royalpalm do what u luv & luv doing it-remember y u started

where did you get the turkey head from?

18. TRKYHTR

TRKYHTR New Member

I got the freeze dried head from Hazel Creek and I painted it myself.

TRKYHTR