1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hole in the head

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by OutdoorCreations, May 19, 2011.

1. I got a deer head in today and when I was taking it out of the bag the mom told me that there was somethig special about this deer and i would know when i saw it. So i get it out and look at it and the kid shot it in the head . I was thinking ok no problem i can fix this and then the kid said that he wanted to leave the hole there on the finished mount because it reminds him of the story and gives it character . He is 13 and is his first deer he has killed and he said he had buck fever. So what is the best way to leave the hole there and how do i finish the inside of the hole. It does not go all the way through. Im thinking carvig it out in the form and just finishing the hole with magic sculpt but what colors. He doesnt want any blood. any help or suggestions Thanks
    Here is a pic
    [​IMG]

2. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Wow. What an ugly hole. I would have explained to him that it would not look right at all with a gaping hole in its snout. I know the customers always right, but wow. I have no clue how to finish that.

3. I tried very hard to convince him to let me fix it and close it shut but he wanted it left there. Like you said I try to do what my clients want since they are paying the bills.lol

4. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Finish like you said with Magic Sculpt.
    I'd then air brush with red, followed by a mist of brown to tone it down.
    Matte modge will make it look like an older wound, where as gloss modge will make it look fresh.
    You seriously couldn't talk him out of it?

5. I think the only way to I could have talked him into me not doing it this way would be me not doing the mount lol

6. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

That's Different ???

7. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

I really think I would have passed on that one, a torn ear or a hole in the ear is one thing. He might like the idea right now but on down the road after 50 different people say that the hole looks like crap it will eventually be the taxidermist fault because that is the way you mounted it, even at his request.

8. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i cant imagine a hole that just ends with no bone or any thing else showing. i hope he doesn't want all that showing ;). post pic when its done. would like to see the end results.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'd have fun with that!

10. oldfool

oldfool New Member

MS
    could you make a mold of the hole then make a bondo cast, cut a shallow hole in the form and glue it in??????
    just thinking outside the box

11. I like the cast idea I have some rv rubber do you think that would work to make the cast or use something different

12. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I did a whitetail that was missing an eye. Don't know how or when it was lost, or if it was born without it. The eyelid was so tight I could barely get my pinkie in the opening. I cast it with alginate, including the area around the eye to capture the unique muscle structure. I then finished with apoxiesculpt and paint. And yes it did have the nictitating. Iv'e accentuated recent battle scars, but I wouldn't leave a gaping bullet hole. perhaps if it was a dead mount OK, but how absurd is it to make a lifelike mount sporting a fatal wound? JMO

[​IMG]

13. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Would he consider having it look more like a scar than a hole?
    The idea of a deep hole being displayed on a mounted deer which is supposedly "alive" is seriously creepy to me!

14. Here"s a couple of pics of one I did a couple of years ago. Young boy said this is where he aimed. Clint Eastwood ain't got nothing on this kid.[​IMG][​IMG]

15. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi

16. Major

Major New Mexico.....Not much different than the old one

To get a cool flesh/wound look, mix red flocking with natural epoxy. You can add as much flocking as you want until you get the desire you want. Works good for leg scars, fighting wounds, etc.

17. WFT

WFT New Member

Just out of curiosity, did you charge extra?

18. jward

jward First with a bow

what about more of a blood red paint and using some bone fragments from the skull in the hole with some gloss to make it look wet

19. That's what happens when you hunt with a spotlight!

20. Here is what I have done so far. I cast the orignal hole in the skull and made a mold. Then cast that and inserted it in the form.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]