1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first customer comment about Mounted In Alaska

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by michael p., May 20, 2011.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I've read and participated in the Mounted In Alasksla threads here and have pretty much I feel defended the show except in the case where it was said that no negative comments about the show should be made because it could hurt the show itself, our industry and even cause it's cancellation which I then & now think is totally ridiculous.

Anyways..... I guess I had what could be considered my first conversaion/comment with a customer about the show today. I've got a good customer Shawn who came to pick up his sons turkey tail and beard and has a longhorn that they're putting down in August and he wanted to discuss price and post. I've done a lot of work for Shawn so we sat down to go over poses and possibillities (wall, pedestal, etc.) Shawn is a big ol' boy and quite the bs'er and when we finished going over details of the longhorn he stated "that all sounds good.......BUT if my steer comes back looking like the bull they showed on that Taxidermy show last night we're gonna have a serious problem!"

I got home late from work last night and just caught glimpses of the show. I caught a glimpse of the cougar that Sam did, but not the bull. How'd the thing look??? What was wrong with it???

2. jason

jason Active Member

I just watched that episode on history channel. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

The bull was novice grade but passable, the cat was a waste of materials in my opinion, I know we are not suppose to bash the show, but that catman Sam just grates me when ever he opens his trap.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Michael, never trust a customer. REMEMBER, Russell's customer was thrilled over how his mount looked. You might have a customer with similar qualifications. LMAO

5. michael p.

Most are from the Center For The Blind :). I'll see if Miranda tivoed if I ever get out of work tonight and check it out for myself

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Go to the History Channel website, you can watch the rerun episodes.

7. jtcjr

jtcjr Member

NC
    Bull was low grade commercial work in my opinion. But key is customer was happy.

8. Cat had beagle ears

9. Have we forgotten the show is set up with hand picked "customers"? Of course they are going to be happy because the mounts probably aren't theirs. Right Crusty?? ;D

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Most of the interest I have from customers about the show are

(1) Do you know Russell Knight, since he is from MS? NO, but I have known Sam Cook for several years...and

(2) from the young guys...Can you tell me how to contact Tina? Absolutely not...even though we are FB friends, LOL!

I have had a surge in calls wanting taxidermy lessons in the past few weeks...I suspect there is a lot of interest in taxidermy due to the show. NO, I don't give taxidermy lessons!

11. CJN

CJN Member

I agree, bull was low grade. Trust your customer, he is not blind and is telling you as you know he is expecting something better. No doubt your work is better than that.

12. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Suprdave--You nailed it !

13. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

You guys are "beating a dead Horse" and are going to get in trouble. ;) ;D

I wonder if they have people monitoring their facebook pages for them now or if they are doing it themselves?

14. RTF

RTF Active Member

There was nothing wrong with that bull. I feel they went above an beyond for a commercial mount.

15. gab

gab Active Member

i just did a program at an elementary school where i got to tell 6 different classes about taxidermy.at least 3 of the kids in each class had seen the show,but this is also a school where every single kid knew what taxidermy was and at least one kid in each class had a relative that was a taxidermist.

16. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

I am learning how to DEAL WITH STUPID REQUEST'S THIS YEAR :-\

17. gab

gab Active Member

when my daughter(8)was watching with me and the guy wanted a discount on the cow,she asked if i thought he was gonna get a GBD (good buddy deal)she can't remember to do her homework,but she can remember GBD from 6 episodes ago.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I like Russel's flip the coin trick, the customer tried to beg a lower price, Russel asked him if he wanted to flip the coin, $100 off if he won, or an extra $100 to the regular price if Russ won.

19. michael p.

OK, I just saw it (Miranda tivo'ed it) this morning........mount was OK, finishing work was really rough. I'm a big aestetic person and it did nothing for me in that area. Absolutely no "pop". I got to actually sit down and see more than just a glimpse of the cat. I stick to my previous thought and you can take it for what it 's worth.....Sam gives every Taxidermist hope that they too have the ability to win an A of E.

20. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Mr.T notice anything about this pic? haha

[​IMG]

Russel is standing like the top dog he is and look who else is and the only other one haha.