1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best way to euthanasie a snake for taxidermy?

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by GhostMonkey, May 21, 2011.

1. Depends on how large the cage is . . 300lbs, it's probably huge and would take a fortune's worth of C02 to fill enough to kill the snake.

2. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Use several woodchuck smoke bombs, available at farm stores.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A 17 foot snake would over flow a garbage can.

4. GhostMonkey

GhostMonkey New Member

NYC
    It was nasty, but one 1/2" diameter rod between the eyes so to speak did the trick. The only problem was the snake even though I knew it was dead just kept moving and the people were freaking out thinking it was still alive. I tried explaining to them this was pretty much like getting a .45 through the noggin. I felt this was the best way for human reasons after analyzing the situation. Thanks for the input guys. ;)

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Would love to see a photo or two of your snake.

6. crittercraft

crittercraft A venti caffe' mocha vodka valium latte to go plz

GA
    I gotta know, how did you convince him to stay still long enough to hammer the rod? Was he passive unless annoyed?

7. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

x2

Hate to say it but it sounds like a bullshit story to me. ::) How in the hell can you have a snake so vicious that no one can get close yet you are able to freaking put a rod in his head. Not to mention you didn't want to screw up his skull. I'm raising my BS Flag! ::)

8. x2. Especially on the 17 ft part.
    I'd just tossed it in a big cooler with a big chunk of dry ice in there.

9. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Your a real trooper Ghost Monkey! I wouldn't have gone in the same house with a snake like that. Do you have any pictures? Stretch it out on the floor and lay down next to it for size comparison, OK? Joe

10. psycho

I'm going to go through some old 35 mm pictures and see if I can find the one with me and the King Cobra in Singapore. The King was 19 feet long and I laid down next to it, separated by a thick ass piece of glass obviously but it was one of the most amazing snakes I have ever seen. I had no idea that they got that big. I believe the other one was only like 15 ft.

I would love to see the pictures. I hope it's not a comparison pic like the one above, just taken off the internet from somewhere.

11. bubba z

bubba z New Member

Psycho was that at the Singapore zoo . I saw one there in 1998 that was impressive. I didn't even know they got that big.

12. psycho

Yes it was Bubba! LOL I was there in 1993 95 and 96. ;D

13. GhostMonkey

GhostMonkey New Member

NYC
    I will have pics up before that act, not so much after. As I will need some advice on going about this mount. As to someone saying I am full of BS maybe we should put some money on this one HuH? I have the proof do you have the money? As to how it got done so efficiently is because women are smarter then men. I looked at the cage noticed the top was triple laid rabbit fencing giving me enough space to position a rod right over the snakes head through the holes. To keep the snake in the right spot I figured if chicken wings can keep my boy friend's butt glued to a chair a thawed out perdue chicken should work for this guy. So we popped one in let the snake do it's thing, while the snake was busy trying to finish swallowing the chicken lights out.

patience + home depot + estrogen = a dead snake ;)

Further proof I did such a good job I got contacted by a few other people to deal with there snakes. So I would be willing to sell the ones I do not want to mount or tan. Just like a restaurant you get to see the snake while it's alive and tell me how you want it put down and shipped. There are some unique species so if interested let me know. Thanks for the advice and a warm welcome.

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Tom Voyer has a DVD about mounting pythons. You'll get everything you need from it.

http://www.kastaway.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=193&Category_ID=1&Sub_Category_ID=12
    Or you can get it from WASCO

I'll keep my mouth shut on the rest ;D

15. psycho

Good for you and whoever helped you. Now buy the DVD and learn how to mount it. Any time you read a story like yours and you ramble all over the place and you make it sound so fishy people will always think you are full of BS, especiallly me. ;) ;D

Since you are smarter than the men here I guess we won't need to answer any more questions either. LOL ::) :p ;D

16. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

pictures can be construed as proof, right?

17. RTPBearcat

RTPBearcat New Member

" people will always think you are full of BS, especiallly me. "

That's right, he knows his BS :)

Be nice y'all, got a chance to see pics of a 115# female that likes taxidermy. Not all of us are hitched ya know......

18. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

That's why I asked her to lay next to the snake in the picture so we can all see what she looks like, she's from NEW YORK CITY.

19. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

This isn't taxidermydating.com folks ;p

GhostMonkey I would be interested in any snake skulls you may want to sell, if you could PM me when you have any available I would appreciate it =)

20. GhostMonkey

GhostMonkey New Member

NYC
    Sorry guys been real busy. Here are some pics a the snake. The nice one is what the owner sent me when he wanted to know if we could make a deal which we did :D.

[​IMG] I was not going to take a gentle Kodak moment here. Use the duct tape in the corner to give a some size comparison.

[​IMG] After the deed was done I needed help moving my new acquisition before to much attention was raised. Guess that is what boyfriends were made for. Now you can see the size compared against his forearm. I told you it was big.

[​IMG] This is what the owner sent me.

[​IMG] [​IMG]Here also is nice elk from last hunting season I did, and my prep room after my dakota broke :( .Three days of doing this with hand tools not a fun time.

I can get some more pics up soon. I live in a area with a bunch of PC urbanites where I am not looked on with affection since I like guns, eat meat, and drive a gas guzzling truck. So I tend not to put kill pics for that reason. Though I will get more up when I start in on this project. I can get pics up of some of the snake that have come my way since this if someone would be interested in the ones that I am not. ;)

Thnx socalmountainman. Actually I was pretty scared but the opportunity pushed past my fears.

Thnx Redwolf just what I needed. Pythons are really different much more muscular then other snakes like the crotalus and naja's. I think I may be out of my league on this one.

psycho "Aww" my adorable grumpy psycho. Yes, women are SMART [​IMG] TER but that does not mean I am a know it all. Want proof if these are mine to??? Pop on bra top and show yours and I will prove that these are mine. . . That's my f bomb back at you in good fun of course. :-* :-* :-*

;D Have a fun Holiday;D​