1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tarpon Pics

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by matchbook454, May 22, 2011.

1. matchbook454

matchbook454 Member

My wife and I returned from our trip to FL a week ago and I'm finally able to post some pics. They might not be the best but I hope that they might be useful as reference for some of you. I landed 7 fish between 50 and 160 lbs.. I plan on doing a repro of the big one as well as a 20 lb. Dolphin that I caught.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Nice Fish!

3. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

x2. I want to catch one of those some day.

4. Nice tarpon, what part of Florida was you fishing

5. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

very cool. The first time I ever dove in the keys I had about a 150 pound tarpon swim right over top of me...scared me to death seeing its shadow come over mine on the bottom too...LOL

6. Tom Cruickshank

Tom Cruickshank The History Channel says I'm "creepy"!!

Nice!! Sounds like you were there same time we were. We were in Islamorada, where were you?

7. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

LUCKY DOG! I went tarpon fishing in Tampa Bay last monday. Storms, wind and a cold front came through florida just before I got there and I caught no tarpon.

8. Congratulations on some nice fish! Man, I need to go down there and fish for them. Looks like a blast! Thanks for sharing your photos. Make sure you post a photo of your reproduction when you get it done.

9. matchbook454

matchbook454 Member

I was in Key West. I fished with Capt. Paul D'antoni - Sieze the day Charters. I landed 7 out of 10 fish that I hooked on a 6 hour trip. I literally had a fish on every drift! I was in Islamorada a few days before that and went offshore. I caught my limit of Dolphin, some Skipjack Tuna, and a big Amberjack on that trip. Those Dolphin are beautiful fish but unfortunately I didn't get any good reference pics (my wife wasn't there to take any!). Anyway, it was a great time down there and I can't wait to go back!

10. Tom Cruickshank

Tom Cruickshank The History Channel says I'm "creepy"!!

Cool!! We went off shore one day. We caught skipjack, amberjack, king mackeral, bonito, blackfin and mutton snapper. No dolphin... :(

11. akairman

akairman New Member

the tarpon aren't too far away from coming in around us here. i've never caught one before in the sounds, but i've been researching it for a while. if anyone wants to throw in some gas money this summer, let me know and we will give it a shot. i'm determined to land one this year.

12. Matt

Matt Active Member

Those are awesome, thanks for sharing! I hope to go after them someday, would love to have a repo for the showroom.

13. SWEET.. Thanks for sharing...

14. Eric E.

Eric E. Member

I just returned back from Marathon Key on Monday. I went out a few days and did great on snapper and a few Dolphins. My largest Dolphin was 48" but I did not have a scale so not sure of weight. They are a gorgeous fish! I wanted to take a shot at a tarpon but never had a opportunity.

15. matchbook454

matchbook454 Member

If I had to guess a 48" Dolphin would probably weigh in the mid to high 20 lb. range. Nice Fish! You have to try Tarpon some day! Let me know if you need a Capt. and can hook you up in Key West with probably the best guy down there. I can pretty much guarantee that he'll put you on several fish if you go April, May, or June!