1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning a snapping turtle/ Red eared slider on page 2 with pics.

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by redwolf, May 23, 2011.

1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Re: Skinning a snapping turtle

This is how I skin out a Red eared slider. It's different from doing a snapper in a few ways. I'm sure others do it different, but I like doing it this way because by leaving the front part attached, I get a cleaner more natural look to the neck and shoulder areas (IMO)

Here you can see where I used a dremel and a cutoff wheel to cut the bottom of the shell.
    [​IMG]

Open it like you would a car hood :D and clean everything out. I like to call it "the soup" :-X :D
    [​IMG]

Skin out the tail and back legs first, then tube out the front legs, and neck
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Use Borax to help with cleaning it out. I use a fish cheaker tool to do the scraping.
    Make sure you clean the meat out of the spinal column. There's quite a bit in there. I use pliers and brake the spine to get to it.
    [​IMG]

As you can see there's quite a bit in there. This is just from one little area.
    [​IMG]

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Bob Have you ever tried to do a soft shell turtle?

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Not yet, but I'd like to try one.

4. Redneck Express

Redneck Express New Member

mn
    Idnt know if this would help or cause more work but from my knowledge of butching a couple if you move father out on the chest playe rote were it meets the shell you can slip a knife in there and it will cut int cut like a cartaledge inbetwwen the two

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I've tried that on red ears and fought with it. The shell cracked on 2 so I decided to do it this way. Either way the top and bottom have to be apoxie sculpted back together.

6. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    How come I can't see the pics on here ?

7. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Photobucket has ended its free linkage for its customers to other sites unless they fork up $399 to upgrade their account. Obviously that's not happening so we are stuck with thousands of posts with no pictures now.

8. Sonnyknight

Sonnyknight Member

Here
    Dam

9. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

This is the size I catch here in NH. 40 pounds and there were 2 identical sized ones in my trap. I have a Chinese chef who buys them all.

redwolf likes this.