1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question of the week #3-price

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., May 24, 2011.

1. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

If you are in an area with many more Taxidermist's and there is a guy charging $450 for deer and he gets a lot to mount and you charge $250-$350......why do you charge so much less???

2. red oak

red oak New Member

cause I suck ;D. just kidding guess you price what you thick your worth

3. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Because they know quality is lower and people won't pay that much for poor quality? :/ Thats my guess.

I don't think I make enough at $500 so it blows my mind how some do it for $350 or less.

4. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

For the guy that is 20 miles from me, I think it is a numbers thing. Some guys just want to tell you how many pieces they took in. He is $275 which includes a panel and name plate and i am $465 base price and up. I usually get around 150 to 200 whitetail (this year 167) at that price and he was bragging at the cafe he got in over 200 and told a friend of mine he was giving me a run for the business. I have 13 left to do and will be thru in a week or so and he still has better than 100 as he tells it. Cant quite figure out how he is giving me competion

5. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I would rather do less work and make more money, and still put out a top quality mount. BUT thats just me, as much as I love taxidermy as an art form, I do it to make money.

6. 1. I work out of my house/basement/garage/shed so I don't have the overhead that the guys with a shop have.

2. I just do it for the love of taxidermy. I'm not in it to make a lot of money.

3. I just don't think my customers would pay that much.

4. My work isn't good enough to charge that much.

That about covers it! ;D

Bruce

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I'm a Christian and just want to make taxidermy affordable for the common man.

If I was a carpenter, and you were a lady: would you marry me anyway? Would you have my baby?

8. fougair

fougair New Member

If the customer was not happy .What did they expect for that low price ???

9. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

It never ceases to amaze me. I guess 22 years working for the government has made me lazy......I like to make more money to do less work. In a way, I am glad the lowballers are out there because they get all the price shopping customers that I don't want. And the clients with money that I do want will not go there because they know they will get junk for those prices. So in the end, the low ballers are working themselves to death for nothing and pushing the wealthier clients to me.

10. Same question worded differently!
    Your in a area with several taxidermist all are charging $350.00 and all are on about the same level of talent , all receive around 200 deer a year.
    Do you jump out to 500.00 and risk loosing business because of price conscientious customers ?
    Or do you stay competitive with the prices and assured the same amount of income your accustomed to ?

11. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

200 deer at $350 is $70,000. At $500 you would have to mount 140 to make the same.........it is worth a try if you think the area could handle it.

12. zubba

zubba Active Member

There is a market for both. You pick what clientel you want to target.

13. /quote]

200 deer at $350 is $70,000. At $500 you would have to mount 140 to make the same.........it is worth a try if you think the area could handle it.
    [/quote]

Marty,

Plus, by doing 140 deer at $500, your net will be lots more because you would have a lot less in materials.

14. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Actually Marty, you make more than you think. In your example your competitor has the cost, forms eyes tanning on 60 more deer than you to subtract from the same gross sales.

15. shammy

shammy New Member

MP I think people do it to draw customers away from the higher price taxidermist hoping they will come to them.

16. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I can't stand the BIGSHOT mentality that makes people cut the throats of others, just so they can feel like a big savvy businessman (or woman).

17. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I agree 100%. I was sticking to simple math I could handle.....LOL! There is also the time saved and used somewhere else that you would have been mounting the 60 deer you did not take in.......

18. I might be wrong but I would think there would be a lot more 115-120 B&C class deer mounted at $300.00 than at $500.00. The lqwer price gets the hunter off the fence and turns him(her) into a customer

19. gab

gab Active Member

that taxidermist has his mount priced at his value.to deal with his quality and proffessionalism is worth 350.to pay 550,a client expects better quality and service,which a higher end taxidermist would give them.both are priced exactly right for what they offer.

20. gab

gab Active Member