1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question of the week #3-price

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., May 24, 2011.

1. alabamarutandstrut

alabamarutandstrut Hero's are people who help people in need.

I have a local Taxidermist telling people that I charge 425 a mount and I charge 375 to 400. Whats that tell you what he's trying to do. LOL I've seen his work and I'm not worried. I just live in a poor area and don't want to move (yet). But my clients that have money always come back and recommend me. ;D :D

2. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

No thats HARDLY just you lol......it's anybody with a brain would be my guess!

3. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

!

4. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

5. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I call the taxidermists doing mounts for $250 to $350 lowballers.....if that is what you mean? The word client just sounds more professional to me, so I use it most of the time. I don't understand the "puff up the chest" thing, I must have missed it. Maybe we are just splitting hairs more than I have time to think about. I do stick with the idea of charging a higher price for my work. There are people who can and will pay for it, and those are the guys I target. The folks with the cash hang out with other folks with cash. Get a good client that is a Doctor or Lawyer as most know and you will see. Do a nice mount and get it back quick (another benifit of charging more and mounting less) and you will be golden. And they will tell their wealthy friends and work will start coming in. May not work for everyone, but it is making great returns for me. I am not trying to get the guys off the fence to have their 120" deer mounted for a low price. Quality taxidermy is just expensive......period.

6. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I GOTTA STOP ......I FELL RIGHT INTO THE TRAP ;D ;D

7. A customer is a person that calls looking to get a deer mounted. A client is a person that brings me work every year and a few animals at times.

8. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I didn't see what you said you were charging and wasn't directing it at you or anyone in particular. Lowballer to me is the guy who comes into an area and intentionally charges less than the competition just to get in more work. They come and go like the tide. My whole point is that they do not threaten the quality taxidermsit and actually do them a favor. The more I think about it, the better I like them. Because they get so swamped with $300 deer to mount their turnaround time goes through the roof as well.......another selling point for me.

So please don't take it as me being upset or directing it at anyone. Quite the oposite. Just exchanging information.

9. gab

gab Active Member

they're not lowballers they're just selling product for what its worh: 300 head/500 head,sirloin stockade/ruth's chris,pinto/porsche,dollar general/dillards,bushnell/zeiss,honda/harley,ruger/kimber,coors/dos equis,et etc etc

10. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

;D

11. snagger

snagger New Member

Why is every body worried about the other guy if you do not like there price stop asking I get a 1000.00 better rise your prices!!!!!!!!

12. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    One word "walmart"

13. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

95% of the calls I get bring me the work. Not because of my price ($575. this year, $625 this coming season for a shoulder mt whitetail) but because I can sell them! I can sell a blind guy reading glasses just because they make him look good! ;D Sell your work! Sell it for what its worth to you. ;)

14. I have never seen anywhere that because a deer cost $350 for a mount that it is automatically a bad mount compared to a $550.00. Just because its priced high don't make it better

15. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

I'll go with dsbragg

16. That's about the smartest thing said here today.

Rich customers, low ballers, any anyother name calling is all BS. No one knows why some one prices an item the way they do, other than that person. Who are we to Jude anyone. Surely not me. Doesn't matter how deep a customers pocket is. Some of the richest people i know are the cheapest people i ever meet and wouldnt spend 500 for a deer mount if it had solid gold eyes in it. Why does a wealthey person shop lift at walmart. (dont know) Is everone that works for the government a crook. (no) is every taxidermist doing deer for 300.00 trying to cut some ones throat ? (NO) Does that happen (yea.) The same people you wish to hang from a rope for pricing cheaper than you. Probable thinks you are ripping off the public, & pricing gouging. Are they correct (Hell No !) Are there 300.00 deer heads going out the door that looks like crap? (YEP!) are there 300.00 deer going out the door that looks better than most people here turn out on there best day (YEP!) If you claim to be taken enough product in. And making more money for less work. Then what in the world is the problem. Your making your $$ , your way and there making theres there way. Everone should be happy. It almost sounds like even though you claim there not bothering your business they are in fact getting into your pocket book. Thus we wouldn't be name calling and looking for a rope and tree. The guy that said at 300.00 there would be more 120 b &c deer mounted. That is TRUE. i mount a lot more deer between 115 to 140 b &C than i do deer over 160 Do these people pay there bills, yes just as fast at the man with 200 plus. most often times faster !
    I not trying to step on toes here, just food for an argument.
    Glenn

17. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

I am the cheapest in my area, just food for thought.

18. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Thats where all my work went this past season LOL Just joking Bill

You may be cheap but you do quality work.

19. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Lol, Thanks Bob. Im positive commercially my work is no better then a guy that charges less, I hope I didnt come off that way. After all my customers are paying for a commercial mount.

One thing I could never understand is when someone says I cant charge that in my area. Im sure a gallon of gas and a gallon of milk is no less expensive there then it is here but yet the cost of a shoulder mount differs 2 fold.

20. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzSzhHmhiOY