1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question of the week #3-price

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by michael p., May 24, 2011.

1. George, I don't know how long its been since you had a roof done ( no pun intended) but here in Texas I have seen thousand of dollars differnce in price on the same roof. May be they are using illegals for labor but the materials are pretty close to the same price. They will even give your insurance company a quote and do the roof for a lower price so you don't pay the deductable. Bottom line, there's discounts in every business if you look and try hard enough to find it. Taxidermy aint rocket science and price don't automatically dictate quality but would hope it would. I wonder if MP goes to the highest gun shop in La Grange to buy his new deer rifle. Doubt it.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

kb, actually, my son-in-law is a roofer and I'm sure my price is "reduced". (It better be), but roofers, plumbers, and masons keep their work pretty close around here. You go farther north and run into the union guys, you'll understand the analogy.

3. LOL ok you got me there.
    However dont knock warm quishey cow manure between your toes. lol

4. I really don't give a hoot what others around me charge. I can honestly say I don't know what anybody within 50 miles of me charges for a deer head.

I do know this argument gets old.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Horrible example kb.....you can buy a SW1911 Pro Series 9mm at Cabella's, Carter Country or Academy (whomever is cheapest) and it is still the same SW1911 Pro Series 9mm or I guess you could also buy it from some guy who claims he is a gun broker for $200 less.......that would be trustworthy wouldn't it ??? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....actually kb, you have the perfect example :)

6. tmoos111

tmoos111 Member

7. michael p.

Well it's Thursday and it's getting too late in the week to rattle cages....... we got 6 pages this week, not bad :)

Doesn't really matter what you charge as long as you keep learning. Most will go up on their price as their self confidence rises and others will stay idle. Beautiful tjing about it, it's America and we can still charge whatever we want :)

8. Hats off to you Michael very well said!!!!!!!!

9. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

This topic should have been called Dead Horse of the Week.
    Do K-tan next week Mikey !!

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A rich man and a poor man pays the same for a four wheeler, a rich man and a poor man pays the same at the gas pump, a rich man and a poor man pay the same for their groceries, a rich man and a poor man pays the same for insurance, they pay the same at the Doctors office for a visit. So why the difference at the taxidermist?

11. Wrong mr.T four wheeler you can shop for different prices sames as gas stations and the doctor will give a discount for cash. Wal-Mart sells groceries cheaper that Kroger,H.E.B etc. poor man shops for deals on taxidermy which is not a necessity,rich man don't give a crap cause he's rich.....

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I am correct, rich man goes to walmart and the same places that you do.

13. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

A rich man has more money for descretionary purchases (ie. taxidermy) than a poor man. Nothing against either one, just plain business 101. So all I was saying is that I have had good success targeting the folks that can afford taxidermy in these tough times. I use any and every advertising method I can to build a client base. But I choose to focus extra efforts into the folks on the higher end of the payscale. I keep records of how I get every customer by asking them how thay found me and what made them choose me over my competitors. Website is the #1 source, word of mouth is second right now. Once I stop moving around and retire from the Air Force, hopefully I can build a reputation and word of mouth will have more impact.

I am not saying be a snob and turn folks away based on income.....LOL! I am saying I choose to use every situation as an oportunity to find new clients. One example that is the clearest was a business card I handed to my surgeon who was going to operate on my hip last year. I made a point to strike up a conversation about hunting. Turns out he was a hunter.Of course I told I am a taxidermist. It went from there and i gave him a card. He called 2 months later and wanted me to mount a deer for him he had in the freezer a couple years. Got it back for him in 90 days and he was thrilled. A few months later he called me and said he and 2 buddies were going to Africa on 8 animal safaris and they want to use me. I now have 19 African LS and shoulder mount skins and horns in the process of being sent to me. Had I not planned ahead of time to try to start the conversation about hunting with the doctor, I would not have gotten the work. Granted it was mostly luck, but I think of luck as being something we make for ourselves. I strike up the same conversations everywhere I can, but you can bet the guys with money are a lot more likely to become big clients than the cashier at WalMart..............LOL!

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Why milk a cow that gives a cup of milk, when another cow can give you a quart? Makes sence to have cows in your barn that give quarts of milk over dribblers.

15. WFT

WFT New Member

AWWWWWHHHHH.....HELL NO...dont get that flamed up again!!!!!!

16. gab

gab Active Member

Michaelp,heres some subjects for the future:Krowtan
    mounted in alaska
    george
    who was the first to use every modern technique
    leaving mounts in africa
    plus any other subject we hardly ever talk about ::)
    at the next banquet,someone needs to present you with the Dead Horse Award,for finally discussing a subject so much every one is sick of it and we never have to discuss it again.

17. michael p.

I've already got the subject for next week ...... ahhh it's a doozey right out of left field. :)

Stay tuned Monday.

I actually post these to get some educated answers to some dumb arguements.

I will tell you my answer to price and I'm right. Education, area, work and clientele is the answer.

The more educated a Taxidermist is whether it be through competition, training or natural abilities the more confidence he had and at that point he will feel he is worth more.

If you live in an area where for a 100 mIle area the annual income is $20,000 you have to charge a lower rate unless......

You have built up a working reputation that allows you to draw your clientele from other regions.

To put it plainly, some are stuck and always will be while others progress and are pm an upward spiral.

We can all do it, its just how many of us have the want too? It's like around here. I get $550 for an Axis and one guy gets $300. Why not raise your price to $450 and still claim "I'm $100 cheaper than him?". I have no clue why not and don't care. I just know he has to do 3 times the work I do to make the same amount after overhead. Trust me, that does not bother me but it does make me shake my head :)

18. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Ok Garp. Can you sneak the next question to me early so I can think about it before anybody else has a chance to? I need a handicap, Bud. LOL!

Have a spectacular holiday weekend!

19. michael p.

I will Greg, the next one is going to be FUN :)

20. gab

gab Active Member

and i will still disagree with you,ad infitum:does his axis look like yours?is he as organized as you ?does he have your people skills?is he as easy to get hold of as you?does he have as good a reputation as you/is he as established as you?does he spend as much as you on advertising/does he spend as much as you on training?does he have the same personal goals as you?
    You're comparing apples and oranges and think they should be the same value.OK i officially give up.You're almost as hard as George to argue with