1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

4th mount completed

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Mike.B, May 24, 2011.

1. Mike.B

Mike.B Member

Hey guys and gals, here is my 4th deer mount completed. let me know what you think
    Michael

Attached Files:

2. verne

verne Well-Known Member

looks nice 4 number 4 !

3. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

In the last picture, the back of the neck seems to have a sort of odd shape, like its thicker up by the head and then tapers off downward.... might just be me.... nice deer though, boy that antlers got some mass to it...

4. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

not bad for number 4, your ear buts look to be 2 high and to far back and your your eye shape is off a little but close. need to work on finish work more, 2 dark around the eyes for my taste. You also did not get your ears turned all the way to the edge or you failed to get hair patters in the right place hence the wavy edges ;) your getting their

5. mossy923

mossy923 New Member

NY
    Mike, for the 4th one not bad, keep it up! I agree with the earbutts are to far back and the ears look like you didnt get them turned out all the way. The paint around the eyes look to dark/to much.

6. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

On the ear butts, I too think they are just a tad too far back but I think the antlers might be set back a little too far and a little high. JMO Keep it up and don't ever stop trying to get better, it's a never ending process.

7. Mike.B

Mike.B Member

Thanks for the help guys, now I know for next time to drop the ears and move them more foreward, the deer form I used was the CAD series from Rinehart not too sure if I like the form to much, I thought the antlers were set to far high but when I look at the picture I took in the field it is actually is really high in the front from the tip of the nose to the tip of the antlers but the more I do the more I will correct my mistakes
    Mike

Attached Files:

8. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

IMO take that Rinehart catalog and toss it to the side and find a new supply company ;)

9. Mike.B

Mike.B Member

LOL, its already been done it was my first purchase when I was trying to learn taxidermy I purchased his how mount a whitetail deer until I decided to take a class on taxidermy

10. The mount looks good but Im not crazy about Rhineharts forms either.I mounted a buck using the CAD manikin and it turned out the same as far as the neck.They Kind of makes the neck look to long.I re-did mine and chunked the magazines

11. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

After looking again your antlers could have been laid back just a tad more, they are set just a little too upright, taking more off the rear of the skull plate would allowed them to be in the correct position and that would have moved your tips a little more higher. In your third picture if you draw a line down the head from the nose to the top of the head, for a rule of thumb the antlers follow that straight line for a few inches then start their out and up curve....usually.

12. Mike.B

Mike.B Member

Cool thanks for the tip

13. vetanddamnproud

vetanddamnproud Pray for our troops who are still out in harms way

looks good alot better than what im doin