1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing the muzzle area of a deer on a fleshing machine

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Blane, May 24, 2011.

1. Blane

Blane New Member

Do any of you flesh out the muzzle area; lips, nose pad, chin, etc. on a fleshing wheel ? Or is it even possible ?

Thanks

2. Steve W

Steve W Member

ohio
    Yes it is possible. It's easiest if you have a very sharp blade and have the lip just barely exposed from the guard. If you get good enough or brave enough you can shave with your finger right behind the skin. Better yet, get it close with the wheel and do your final thinning with a knife, skife knife or scalpel. I personally prefer a Dremel with either a drum sander or a smooth stone. I've found that a chainsaw sharpening stone and a very dry skin are hard to beat for thinning. You'll have to find what works for you. Be safe in whatever you try. Steve

3. tt

tt Licensed Taxidermist,Hunter,Trapper,and Fur Bearer

as steve said it is possible if you are good with the machine and have a good "feel". I use a skife knife when I get to the eyes and nose.

4. mossy923

mossy923 New Member

NY
    I never tride those areas with my flesher, good question, I always use a scaple around eyes, nose, chin an lips, then I us the flesher.

5. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    Blane, yes you can with a machine such as a dakota pro with micro adjustments, personally I take mine to about a 1/4'" of the eyes and right to the lip line and then skife knife the rest. ;)