1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kaston06, May 25, 2011.

1. I killed a kansas buck with a bow this year on 11-26-2010 and had a well known taxidermist pick it up the next day, the deer was properly taken care of when he picked it up, i left the deer at my inlaws outdoor store where the taxidermist has pieces displayed and they look great, my inlaws showed him the way i wanted the deer since i was at work and he said ok and brought it back today, the original price was around 400 well my father inlaw text me and said it cost 180 so i was thinking maybe he gave them a discount since they refer him to everyone, or there was something wrong, so my inlaws paid him for me and when i went to pick it up it looked good sitting on the ground, but when i hung it up on the wall i noticed that it was not the pose i asked for which isnt the end of the world and noticed a lot of scarring which i never noticed and he told them it was badly scarred, well i went to take it down so i could take it home well i noticed a real bad smell and the hair on the brisket was slipping really bad and the hide was not stuck to the forum at the center of the brisket...... so what you do in this sitution?? and i will not realase any names because i have not been able to contact him yet. Thanks guys

2. It's possible the taxidermist didn't tan the hide. Take photos, and post them. I'm sure we'll be able to tell you what the deal is.
    It definitely shouldn't stink AT ALL if it was properly mounted and tanned. ???

3. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Oh Deer!! ::) sounds like another disaster... Not good

4. zubba

zubba New Member

I love these stories. They never get old. Your homework has paid off.... ::)

5. I will get some pics posted tomorrow all i had was my cell phone, what do you mean by your homework has paid off..

6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

You've been a member here since 2008. You have seen the many great taxidermists and their work on this site. You did your homework in choosing the best taxidermist. You got what you paid for.

7. Around here most people are 350 to 450 the guy we usualy use had medical problems and had to quit, i was expecting to pay 400 not 180 and i have seen many of his other deer and they are great, i understand what you are saying about you pay what you get for but like i said it started at 400 when i gave it to him

8. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

The maggots will clean it all up eventually.

9. c70mach1

c70mach1 Let em grow.......

This is going to get UGLY .....
    May as well stop while your ahead .
    If you want something done right as in the right pose or the right person to mount your trophy , you really need to do your homework and do it yourself .
    To many middleman can spell disaster . Good luck .

10. He knew it was messed up and didn't charge you for much more than materials. It's done now, I would lick my wounds and use the money you didn't spend on a new cape and get another GOOD taxidermist to mount him right.

11. WFT

WFT New Member

Greg...is this guy talking about YOU....LOL...whew!!!

12. I can agree with you guys on licking my wounds and stuff but i thought i did my homework i guess i was wrong though, i wanted to do it myself but havent yet done a deer so i sent it off to get mounted. Thanks for your opinions and as humid and wet as it is here the maggots will probably have it by morning!

13. mossy923

mossy923 New Member

NY
    I think Micheal's question of the week just proved him right. LOL! Kaston I would pay him a visit as soon as you can to see whats up? Or you take to one of these awesome guys in here and get it fixed or learn the trade and fix yourself. Thats about all you can do my friend. Good luck

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Santa's little helpers. Skins practically flesh themselves!

15. gab

gab Active Member

sounds like he may have bought the business from the original guy that had work at he store and is using that work to represent him.I don't think its unreasonable to look at display work and expect the same quality.Your inlaws need to get his work out of there,because his unhappy clients are going to blame them.

16. Thats what i told them this morning Gab, finally got ahold of him and he couldnt believe that it stunk and the hair was slipping, i call BS, and i do plan on learning the trade eventually its just there is to much going on at the time so thats why i sent it off to be done (MISTAKE) It probably wouldnt have bothered me so much if he would have just called and said hey your cape is slipping and is no good what do you want to do? not just drop it off and wait till it rots

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It pays to KNOW who your taxidermist IS.

18. I will agree with you there Mr. T, here are some photos the more i look at the more i pick out
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

19. The deer itself doesn't look THAT bad, but the slipping is ridiculous, and if it stinks, there's definitely something wrong. . .

20. I agree Rhasputin it could def. be worse looking, he is supposed to come by today and we will see if he has any resolution to the sitution maybe ?