1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kaston06, May 25, 2011.

1. I would have to disagree, it looks that bad. Insted of thinking it could be worse you should know it could be MUCH better, slipping/smell or not.

2. Thats does not look like slipping!!
    It looks like breeding rubs. Hairs break off when bucks breed.

On the other hand what to hell to you expect for $180.00 You got exactly what you paid for!

3. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

X2

4. Okay when you say you get what you pay for i hope you guys understand that was not the orignal price because i would not have gone to someone that was that cheap that is what he charged when i brought it, and wether or not it looks like slipping it is slipping considering you run your hand across it and guess what a chunk of hair

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

That isn't slipping in the brisket, that is ticking or breeding rubs as stated. Dennis, your last post says it all, I would hope you are going to have it re-mounted.

6. mossy923

mossy923 New Member

NY
    Hey That looks pretting good! (For some ones first or second deer). I dont think its slipping either!

7. I dont see the whole truth in this series of post. Noone drops the price from what 400 to 180. it dont make sense. I think you went lowball and you got what you paid for. But you have learned from being on here from after the hack picked up the head to mount there is better work available...

8. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I have to agree that it doesn not look like "spoilage type" slipping to me! Not saying its not but it sure looks like "rubbing" ! Does the hair come out any where else! Usualy if a cape is spoiling you can get a bunch of hair right up under the jaw!

9. Yes ron you can get hair from just about anywhere on it, but i really didnt try around the jaw or eyes. Matt i do plan on getting a cape and having someone else mount it or wait till i have done a few i guess. As for John why would i come on here and lie to you about price i have no reason to, yes i got screwed on the deal, had i have been there when he dropped it off i would have told him he wasnt getting paid for that crap or something and trust me i was shocked and knew there had to be a reason my father inlaw called me and said that the price was 180, but what i wrote was exactly how the event went and yes lesson learned not to use him again and to make sure no one else does. I wasnt trying to post the ? to be said i wasnt being truthful just wondering how others may have handled the situation.

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Old Van Dyke 3NV eyes.....haven't seen a pair of those since I used to have to order them for my dad back in the 80's :)

11. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Shoulda woulda couldas.... If I was a hunter taking something to a taxidermist there is no way I would have had a taxi come and get my deer without me being there or seeing or knowing his work and talking to him face to face while looking at his work. Sure as heck would have made sure I was there to get the mount in person as well no matter what. And you didn't sign a contract or go over mount details in person with him so that wasn't very professional on his part either. Alot of taxidermists are "reputable" but the truth is 80% of those hunters who give a taxidermist a reputable reputation don't know what a deer is supose to look like so in their eyes its a great taxidermist because to them their deer looks great. We have all seen in time and time again as taxidermists. Its suprises me every time, well actually it don't, that I'll have a handful of customers bring me a deer without ever seeing my work or anything and don't even want to come inside and check out some of my mounts. They just know so and so and was refered by them. How do they know if I'm a hack or a good taxidermist without seeing my work?? They don't. I always tell them come on inside and we will look at some mounts and you can pick what you want to do and fill out an order and everything. They are usually suprised there is even options like there is or a contract to sign. It gets better in areas over time though with people learning quality. I'd say you are both at fault 50/50 for what you got in return and you have learned from the experience and have accepted it for what it is. Which is a good thing. So good luck with your remount and do some looking on here and some research to find a good taxidermist. You'll figure it out. Take care.

12. Thanks T3, i had seen a lot of his work or what he said was his work but now i wonder if it was actually his work or not.

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You've been a member here since 2008 and you didn't use this resource to choose a GREAT whitetail taxidermist?

Is that a joke?

I know you think you did your homework, but IMO you didn't. Here is my advice, get a hold of Mark Huser in Lockwood. (PM me if you want his number) He's not that far from you, and he does a nice whitetail. He won't screw you over either, which is always a plus. Here's a deer he did:

Attached Files:

14. Np you got what you paid for 180 deermount. thats a fact.

15. Jon a agree with you i did get a 180 dollar mount that is for sure actually it isnt even worth saying that much about it in my opinion, i was trying to step on your toes or anything, just wanted to let you know i had no reason to lie

16. seabee

seabee New Member

Sorry to hear about your situation. Now that you have had contact with the guy are you going to tell everyone who done the work ?
    There are ALOT of taxidermists in your area. I know because I am one of them. I know of one about 30 minutes away from you that has work on display all over this area. I know for a fact that he did not do the birds he has out. And the deer, well you can usually tell if he did them or someone else did.
    PM me if you need any help. (new cape or remount) not trying to apply for a job , just trying to help because I am local

17. Hey seabee I sent you a pm, and the problem still hasnt been dealt with yet

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I guess my question is, if you know enough about taxidermy to be able to identify parts of a mount with such terms as slipping, brisket, the hide not stuck to the form, etc, then my guess is you do know enough. So, why would you come here and ask that? Youre welcome here to post as you wish, of course, but this questions answers are obvious. Maybe I deal in a much different type of customer, but my customers know their taxidermists name, drop their own work off, pick their own work up, and are aware of who has it, and at what price. I guess I just cant figure what you expect to glean from having this posted here.

When these guys say you got what you paid for, thats not literally the price. What theyre saying is, if you just dropped it off and didnt know who, what, where or how, so to speak, in that sense you got what you bargained for. Why would handling a taxidermy item be any different than any other business exchange? I certainly wouldnt have a inlaw or friend drop off my rifle to be fixed by someone, and just pay for whatever I got back, see?

Regardless, whats done is done. Find a decent taxidermist, meet him, see his work, and if hes busy and current, meaning he has work to do because hes good enough, then invest in him...but YOU check it all out. I wish you well. None of us were trying to sound mean, I hope you see. We all hope your next mount is just as you like it.

19. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I don't understand how guys can treat a skin and rack like a bag of garbage when they are dropping it off, want to pay a bag of garbage price from some "backwoods hick" that they don't even want to meet, and then somehow expect a beautiful lifelike and top quality product when they pick it up. Not that the above all applies to you, but these are the things that keep me up at night wondering. Taxidermists are generally great people, like any other group. It might be an image thing that we must overcome.

20. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

Base ball bat comes to mind........???