1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Repair of scratched eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by HOOKJAW, May 25, 2011.

1. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

Anyone have advice on removing or lessening surface scratches on glass eyes? I nicked an eye with the metal band that holds the bristles on an artist brush and have a nasty scratch over the pupil. I know applying a clear coat works pretty good but was hoping someone has discovered a new product or method that works better. Thanks

2. Rick Carter did an article in breakthrough. Can't remember the issue though. Sorry

3. IMNTM

IMNTM Southern Wildlife Art Taxidermy

Repaired one per that Breakthrough article by Rick Carter. Had to buy about $40 worth of sand paper & filling glaze. Turned out really well though.

4. I use a couple coats of gloss lacquer (triple thick)

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Yep, Rick Carter had an article in breakthrough, very informative, but I can't remember which one it was. You can go to their site and search it.

6. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

Thanks, I'll give Rick's method a try.

7. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Well-Known Member

I used Rick Carters method on a competition pc and you couldn't even tell it was scratched.

8. irishme

irishme New Member

;) I CONCURR WITH TMALONE.
    IF IT IS A MILD SCRATCH, THEN SOME VARISH-GLOSS WILL COMPLETELY HIDE THE SCRATCH.

9. Breakthrough magazine issue 91 "buffing the scratched eye slayer." good luck