1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Started another 10 footer!

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by psycho, May 26, 2011.

1. Dan so when you clean your head you take it out get some meat out and then put back in pickle until you can later go back to it?

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Yes sir! :D

3. lorefuma

lorefuma Member

interesting topic!

4. psycho

I haven't forgot about you all. The gator is out of the pickle and into the tan. Tomorrow he will be oiled. After that we will beginning all the repair work that can be done prior to mounting. After he is mounted, then I will be doing the finish repair work. He will then be placed to the side with fans and an AC unit on him to help him dry quicker. Will be posting more pics sometime this week. Dan

5. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Kinda slow- but great post Dan!! Can't wait to see more. I haven't gotten a hold of a big one, but those 4' to 5' gators are a blast to mount. I never in a bazillion years, until now, would have seen a gator as pretty & had no idea how many colors they posess. I took 10 hours painting my first solo gator- mostly the rub ons from Gator Wars. Can't wait for another!!

6. psycho

10 hours painting a little one and you call me slow. LOL ;D

7. LRB

LRB Member

That is one heck of a project !!!.....Very Interesting....!!!!

ML~~

8. JEEP EDSON

JEEP EDSON New Member

lets see some pics. you are slacking:) to much baseball

9. psycho

OK he has been through the pickle and neutralized and then rinsed off. After rinsing him off he was put into the submersible tan. Before he was taken out of the submersible tan I had to add the baking soda to "fix" the tan. After following the directions for the tan he was then pulled and rinsed immediately following the times as set forth in the directions. After he sat for about 20 to 30 minutes I shook any remaining excess water off him. Beaware of the teeth and any sharp edges on the bones because it will still all hurt you. LOL I oiled him, the show side and hide side. The skin is softer than ever and noticeable within 30 minutes after oiling. Now the big boy is just about ready for mounting. I will go over the head one last time and remove anything else I want removed now. Yes even after I have tanned it I am still wanting it better and cleaner. LOL Here are a couple of pics from in the submersible tan. I will try to get some more up today if I can of the head after it was oiled. I didn't add pics of rinsing it because if you can't figure that out, pictures won't help either. LOL ;D Dan
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. psycho

All you had to do is be patient for 3 more minutes! LMAO! :)

11. any special tan for gators??? whats your preference?

12. I believe Kastaways needs to have you do a Video also Thanks for all the info your sharein!

13. bubba z

bubba z New Member

Psycho how do you keep the pickle from damaging the teeth when tanning them ? I heard this can because problem . I've got a couple rugs I'm going to start pickling this weekend without the heads with coonhollows tannning kit to see how it turns out

14. sarahdj

sarahdj Active Member

Oh Dan- no my dear!! I didn't mean to call you slow! That was supposed to say I was slow on the take and hadn't seen this post!! My terrible bad! I would never criticize you- you know that. If you were not incredibly speedy, I would never in a bazillion call you slow, just a meticulous perfectionist my friend;)
    Lookin' great as always.

15. psycho

During this process I am using the gator tanning kit that you can purchase from coonhollow on here. It includes the enviro pickling acid, Perma tan 2000, citric acid and lubristretch 1000 oil. I also get the lipa solve 77 and 55 from him. They are both degreasers but the 55 also acts like a water softening agent as well. The 77 is one of the most powerful degreasers I have used in 12 years! It will amaze you with all of the gunk it pulls out of your hides. I just tanned a mink and you should see all the crap that it pulled out of that little dude. Perfect, brilliant white leather. I will also say the the enviro pickling acid works better than any other acid I have used and I have used a bunch of them. If any of you are formic users you won't believe what I am about to say but I promise you it is true. The enviro pickling acid seems to have the best penetration of any acid I have ever used including the numerous "safe" acids on the market. The stuff is fantastic.

I use the same thing on the small gators but I do not leave them in the acid as long as the instructions call for, this stuff is powerful. I have tanned over 30 gators in this stuff and with it being pretty new to the market, I decided to do some experimenting with it. This stuff works absolutely fantastic on mammals and deer as well. If you follow the directions for the mammals and deer you CAN actually get a commercial tan at home without the big fancy equipment, especially on the critters like coons, coyotes and foxes! I think anyone that tries one of these kits will become a fan and user for life. I don't see any possible way to improve on these products. More pics of the oiled hide to come, hopefully today but don't hold me to it. LOL

Yes, on small gators 5 foot and less the teeth are gravely affected if you leave them in the pickle for to long or if you mix your pickle to hot. By hot I mean to strong. Follow the directions other than on the small gators. On the small guys you have to get them very clean to start with and put them in the pickle and only leave them in for maybe two days total. YOU HAVE TO HAVE THEM SUPER CLEAN and FLESHED! I have seen big gator teeth get screwed up with just a vinegar pickle. I have done some big gators in this stuff and I havented had any problems at all. The small gator 5 feet and under will have their teeth softened and it will distort their teeth if you leave them in to long. If you look at the other 10 footer post I did a few months ago or so, you will also see there was nothing wrong with him or his teeth either. Just the small guys seem to be affected if left in to long. Dan

LOL ;D

16. JEEP EDSON

JEEP EDSON New Member

haha no patience i guess. why is everyone afraid to call you slow. don't they know you are just a big teddybear. unless your a cat then you are a beast. haha

17. psycho

LOL Now thats funny. More pics uploading now. Had to go take a few to post real "slow" I mean quick.

18. psycho

Talk about some nice gator leather. You all be the judge.

[​IMG]

Do these teeth look messed up at all? OK, I know they are the cleanest gator teeth you have seen but other than that. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oiled!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got any questions feel free to ask. The glands in the jaw I fleshed by sticking a small dowel rod into them. Most people just cut them off. 8)

19. JEEP EDSON

JEEP EDSON New Member

looks good. you should be able to get alot of color back on him he is not as dark as some others we get.

20. psycho

He will lose a lot of color by the time he dries more than likely but I will be able to make him "prettier" LOL than he was when he was alive. ;) Hell I think it already is! LOL Like the color of that leather? Remember I told you it turned white as snow. Well now there it is. ;)