1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

blood stains OUT?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by tuckertan, May 26, 2011.

1. tuckertan

tuckertan New Member

anyone have any good ideas about getting blood stains out of hair on sheep hides? and at what point in the tanning process should it happen?

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Most generally mine gets out when I hydrate the skin. With that said I wait until I tan to do it. I have used rit and be carefull it's a rust stain remover in which blood is iron. Or the bleaching of the fur will also take it out.

3. Yep... it should wash out during rehydration. If the skin is fresh you can soak in cold water, rinse well and run thru a quick degreaser and then drain and put it straight in the pickle. DO NOT put a still bloody skin into the pickle... it will never come out.

4. tuckertan

tuckertan New Member

thanks for the info!

the hides i get are wet salted, and i rehydrate them in a brine, then i do my degreasing, rinsing, then pickle.. and these two hides i just finished still have blood stains on them. has anyone used H2O2 to remove blood stains? i read about online somewhere..

5. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

If you are going to be tanning alot of sheep hides, you really should use a bate, utilizing a protease enzyme.

A protease is a type of enzyme that will disolve proteins, like blood, etc.

Another type of bateing would use lipases. Lipases would breakdown fats and grease.

6. tuckertan

tuckertan New Member

where do i get such things, and how do i use them, and dispose of them?

thanks oldshaver!

7. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Check with Knoblochs. If Im not mistaken, they sell 2 different enzymes.

Follow the instructions to the letter! The bating of skins can be your best friend, or your worst enemy!

There are 3 different types of protease enzymes. Their activity is regulated by pH. Acidic, neutral, and basic. Im not really sure what is available to your average Taxidermist.

Maybe we could get one of our other resident tanning experts to explaine to us which protease should be used, when to use it, and why it my be considered a skins "enemy", if not used properly?

Maybe that fella that mentioned the "basement chemists", might be able to help us out here?

8. I learned Chemistry in the "basement" of Dabney Hall at NC State. http://www.ncsu.edu/chemistry/

So I'll take a stab at it...LOL!

Use the plant and animal bate enzyme from Knobloch's called Bate 120. Add some Bate-Aid to assist.

Rehydrate your sheep hide with the blood and dung in a cold water bath containing a degreaser that can also be purchased from Knobloch's. You have about 5 different choices available. http://www.knoblochs.com/chemicals.html

After an overnight rehydration, bate in 85 degree water with your enzyme and bate aid mixture for 2 hours. Remove and rinse well. Pickle. If it is a white hide, bleach after pickling and shaving and return to the pickle for 24 hours. Then tan with any of a variety of Knobloch tans.

If you are trying to remove the blood from wild sheep, then you have a new set of issues.

Good Luck!