1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finished the last of my deer and headed for Alaska

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kyle Lakey, May 26, 2011.

1. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Well finished up the last of my deer a few days ago. Will be flyin out to Alaska at 7:30 in the mornin to work again all summer commercial salmon fishin. This will be my 4th year goin up there. Few pics of some of the last deer I finished up. Will be back in early august to get ready for elk and mule deer huntin and the hunting season ahead. Hope everyone has a great summer! Kyle

The first buck is one I mounted a few weeks ago for the elementary kids k-5th for environmental day from a blank manikan (matuska CC semi sneak)and tanned hide . They thought it was pretty cool to watch how it all worked. I remember doing environmental day when I was younger and loved it. Probably a big reason I went to school for Wildlife management and ecology and got into the outdoors and taxidermy as much as I did. I was always collecting dead birds to take in for them to mount, catch fish to put in the giant aquarium they have, and catch mice for the live snakes they had when I was in grade school. Our school is pretty big on the outdoors and environmental awareness. Must have over 250 mounts of animals in WI in the elementary. Tons of birds, lots of full body small mammal, some full body large mammals and many fish and reptiles too. There is one big display case that hold some of the mounts probably 30'x10'x8' with a huge habitat and painted wall mural. The Quotes of the day from the kids were...
    "Aw you put that together like mounted in alaska, thats awesome"
    "My dad killed a bigger deer than that"
    "where are the legs?"

and my fovorite "wow! you are an artist!!" keep in mind this was coming from a girl in probably the 4th grade. Shocked me. I wasn't sure what to say except thank you haha.
    I also got a few letters from some of the kids the next week that they must have done in class thanking me for coming. They were really cute and funny letters too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next 3 are matuskas CC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ND opening day buck on a Mears ped (shaved down the neck a ton to fit. Was the first deer I got in and last I mounted because I would get sick of working on it. Had to put it aside 3 times cuz it was being a pain in my rear) Velvet freeze dried by Kulis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Revolution sneak sweep

[​IMG]

First bear for me that wasnt a rug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice finish Kyle. Sounds like a fun way to spend the summer. Enjoy and good luck with the fishing.

3. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Thanks Ron. Yeah I really enjoy it up there for the summer. Nice to get away and do something different for awhile.

4. WFT

WFT New Member

Mounts look good, enjoy your trip up...how many months till you get back?

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Enjoy Alaska! Be careful and have fun!

6. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Thanks. Should be back around the first of August unless I decide to spend some extra time hangin out up there after we get off the water. Finishin up packin now. Leavin for the airport in an hour and a half.

7. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Thanks Mike. Have a good summer man!!

8. WFT

WFT New Member

be careful...make lots of money while your gone... ::)

9. Have fun Kyle! See you in August!

Bruce

10. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    As I sit here at my 9-5 job I envy that you have variety in your career and can really experience the outdoors. Good luck fishing!

11. zubba

zubba Active Member

Nice finish to the season Kyle. Good luck in Alaska. Have fun and be safe.