1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

EPA called

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Joe Winsor, May 27, 2011.

1. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

The Denver branch of the EPA called me yesterday and left a message for me to call them. I'm thinking OH NO; what the....

Anyway I spoke with them today and they just wanted to know if I was on city sewer or a septic. I'm on city and I guess if the place of a taxidermy business is on a septic there is a bigger deal that needs to be dealt with.

Anyone else have to deal with the EPA like this?

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

I certainly can't see why it should be any kind of problem. Anyone pouring tanning acids into a septic system without neutralizing may have a problem, but anything else??? It sounds more like a case of, "we need MORE to regulate", thus justifying higher wages! Even dumping Borax into your system shouldn't be a major problem. The recommended "dose" of Borax for a load of laundry is 1/2 cup. How many loads of laundry does the average household do a week? Nope, it sounds to me like they have way too many bodies and need to find "work" for them to do. Or should I say "mischief"!

3. USDA allow disinfection stations to use septic systems.

4. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Apparently the EPAs rule for taxidermy shops that are on septic is that a totally SEPERATE septic is supposed to be installed which COTNAINS the waste AND they the contained septic waste is supposed to be pumped and transported to a treatment facility.....good grief.........now I see why not many people are posting on this thread......however if you are doing a bunch of in shop tanning and OTHER chemical STUFF (whatever that might me, i dont know) THEN the seperate container, will probably protect your well water......

5. The only time I had to deal with them a neighbor called them. Upon inspection I was found to be well within compliance. However, the neighbor got fined for burning household garbage in a barrel...oh well....LOL.