1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help!! African Mounts cheap

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by pdkillr, Mar 29, 2007.

1. pdkillr

pdkillr New Member

Am going on safari this May and am taking 10 animals the biggest being a kudu and gemsbuck. I have found that the taxidermy costs in Africa and shipping is outrageous. Question is what if I just have the horns(not the skulls) of the animals I shoot shipped back bought a mounted one here and switched out the horns can this be done??? Also taking a warthog, bushbuck, babbon and impala could I do the same with these?? Any help greatly appreciated. I have done this with a blackbuck shot a small one got a shoulder mount didn't glue the horns few years later shot a larger one just put his horns on the mount I have. and when I shoot a bigger one will just switch out and put the smallewr horns on the skull mount.

2. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

You can afford to go on SAFARI in AFRICA but you want to swap out your horns on cheap used mounts? You can probably find some cheap junk on ebay or from some trashadermist but I doubt you will find alot of sympathy here.

3. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Just buy some mounts from Ebay, some crap mounts and just say you went and shot them.
    If you think African Taxidermists are high , you better not check what it costs in the states.
    Shoulder mounts .........
    Kudu $1,200 to $1.400
    Impala $795.00
    Warthog $895.00
    Bushbuck $695.00
    Lifesize Baboon $2,000.00 and up.

4. pdkillr

pdkillr New Member

Sorry I should have explained I won the trip in a $10 raffle and can barely afford the $2000 airfare much less the shipping and taxidermy!! Didn't realize $10 was going to turn into $10,000.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Sounds like you better mow some lawns and deliver pizza's before you go on the trip. You can bring the mounts back and sell them unmounted, and pick one you want to keep, sell the rest to pay for the mounting and pay off the charge card that the trip cost you.
    Or you can sell you ticket to someone that can afford to follow through with the responsability of finishing the trophy's properly.

6. Or you can get your hides tanned in africa, bring them back and keep the tanned capes until you are ready to mount them. Good luck on your hunt.

7. RStanton

RStanton New Member

I think Mr. T's suggestion makes the most sense. Use the money from selling some of those capes and horns to pay for a mount or two of good quality... i think you'll be happier in the end that way than by having bug-infested crappy mounts with your horns put on them.

8. Hogger

Hogger "The Gipper"

I think you should be able to have the hides salt dried there and have hides an horns shipped home at a much cheaper rate than mounted heads for sure. Then when in stateside have the hides dry tanned at a tannery. Then you can have one or two mounts done at a time.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If you can't even find air fare, you shouldn't be pulling the trigger on ten animals. What a waste of and disservice to the animal if you are not going to have them done up right. Sell your hunt.

10. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Sell the hunt! Your original idea would only end up with you having a wall full of "trash" mounts.

11. PM me if you are interested in selling the hunt.

12. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

selling your skins ..... just to get them back into the states a cheap deal either, dip and pack, shipping, custom clearance on 10 trophies is going to run you about $1500.00

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I had a friend that put $5 down on a raffle and won a $35,000 boat from the Michigan Steel Headers Association. He had no room to even park it in his yard, He traded it for a used Merc/Benz and $10,000, sold the car the next day out of his yard for $25,000, paid his gift tax and was as happy as a clam, and never stepped a foot inside the boat.

14. gab

gab Active Member

* is right on the money.I just received a ten animal safari.It cost my client $850 to ship and $750 to clear.So thats $1600 just to receive them.Then they need to go to a shop that is licensed to receive African(USDA import).He's going to need some compensation up front,maintaining an inspected facility isn't cheap.If you can afford all of this,My suggestion is keep all of your skulls whole,and display euro mounts til you can afford full mounts.On the bright side ,you are going to have 8-10 months or more to get the money together for shipping and clearing.

15. hunt4blue

hunt4blue New Member

you better go on the safari, I went to Zimbabwe in 2005 it was the greatest hunting we ever did. You are hunting on the other side of the world, just to go to Africa and see it all is better than you can believe. The taxidermy prices in Africa are half comparred to here in the states, BUT the work is horrible to say the least. We visited sveral studio's over there and they have to make everything, they can not get the supplys. Your animal is going on the forms they make. You don't have many choices. The Taxidermy work over there is for the most very bad. Then you have to ship it home and that takes a year and very expensive. You should go, take out a loan and ship your horns & capes home and mount them latter. or you will be sorry

16. mantis

mantis New Member

pdkillr... did you go to africa? if yes ,how did you do and do you have any pics to show?