1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Cougar

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Tim McLagan, Jun 1, 2011.

1. My new guys first cougar mount... Think I should keep him around ???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. looks awesome to me!

3. i think you did good. im not sure you might not have been goin for a full snarl but seems the top canines should maybe show prolly just me but i think sumpin might be up wit upper lips. looks like the nose wrinkles and eyes flow good. all in all very nice!

4. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Back corners of the eyes are way too low. the incorrect position of the corners makes the lower eyelid shape wrong. Eyes aren't looking the same direction, the right eye is looking at the camera and the left eye is looking to the right. From the side view the jaw looks like it's broken. seems like you only opened the front half. Agree on the snarl also, with wrinkles that heavy canines would be showing and his nose is too relaxed it would be shaped different. I would keep him around but teach him how to use reference.

Here are some great pics from John B.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

LOL, nothing like a slamming endorsement:)

I'll stay with the positive tone of this post...!
    GREAT FIRST CAT.

Jerry can you post any pictures of your FIRST mountain lion? I'm serious.
    I know it blows mine out of the water.
    This is a solid commercial piece, other than the canines not showing, few (customers) would recognize any other flaws....and would love it.

Keep posting his future works, I enjoy it.

Thanks!

Jim

6. Jerry Huffaker

Just a friendly critique. not meant to offend. No need to have a chip on your shoulder, I didn't say it was a bad mount I just pointed out obvious things that I thought he could improve on next time.

7. Brian

Brian Active Member

id be happier then a female porky covered in piss if i could mount a cat that good for my first time. i still never done a lion but i know damn well it wouldnt look that good. great first cat. hell yeah keep the guy around. can you imagine how good his say 10th will look!

8. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I have my first one coming up and I hope I do near as well...its for me personally so Id be happy....but I am glad Jerry pointed out those things as the reference show...may just help me a lot ... I dont think it was meant as a slam just helpful hints.

9. Agreed, you have to admit, he is correct about the points he made.

10. RF

RF Member

I say keep him around :)

11. Jerry Huffaker

I usually don't answer this kind of stuff, but since I was called out, here you go old boar. This is the first mountain Lion I mounted, Many years ago. I'm serious too. Good meaningful, constructive, crticism is good for every artist. I love for all of my mounts to be critiqued. Critique a new taxidermist's mounts IS a positive tone.

[​IMG]

12. Brian

Brian Active Member

nice first cat jerry!

13. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Hey Jerry,

I appeciate your post(s) back regarding this individuals first cougar.

I wouldn't have minded your critique, IF it had been preceded or followed by a good old fashioned "Atta Boy", so to speak:)

When I read the title of this post, I didn't read into it "please crititque the shIt" out of this cat.
    I perceived that the person posting was proud of the mount, and pretty pleased with a first for his employee. Not that he didn't see what was wrong with piece...but also what was right.

No big deal, I get ya', just more to a critique than the flaws.

I know how it is to try, very hard as a learning taxidermist....only to fall short of nature. Still happens to me with every piece:)

By the way, nice cat...seriously:) Being suitably impressed, could you tell me what you find wrong with your piece?

Thanks again,

Jim

14. dugart

dugart Doug Smith / D-Sign,LLC. 616-392-3841

You know what.... I don't mind having someone getting straight to the point when giving me a critique.

This is a very nice piece, it possibly has some flaws but spotting that comes with training ones eye to the subject being replicated. I think that if you want to learn and you post a request for a critique here, don't be offended if the "tuned in eye" spots mistakes. It will only help you grow, and besides it takes a little more time to type in the niceties before telling the truth to a student of the art. If the baby is ugly, dare to tell someone, is how I see it.

I would try to keep that guy in your shop if I were you! Over all very nice piece!

15. Thanks,

Well that was entertaining, Thanks for the photos Jerry.. I remember seeing those when John B. posted them a while back..

Actually that's why I posted this mount in hopes that, John B. or Catman would give a look...

Thanks for the good read... OH yeah, I think I will give him another try.. I have a few Snow Leopards to do, and he really wants to learn cats...

16. I believe you should keep him ,looks like he'll be a money maker for you IMO ;D

17. Jdewitt27

Jdewitt27 New Member

Thats a mean lookin cat keep him! Just 1 question seeing as though I have never done a cat.........The wrinkles on the face from snarling, are those formed with something like critterclay?

18. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

That's a nice cat Tim. Love the finishing work too. :)