1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is school really worth it?

Discussion in 'Training' started by torchfaceglass, Jun 3, 2011.

1. 6,500 $ is a lot of money, that could buy a lot of tools and supplies, books, DVDs, forms, specimens to learn on, i am pretty motivated, i know i could learn this craft on my own, but i also understand that being shown the right way to do something is better than trial and error. "you ll be able to leave here and open a business" and i dont doubt it, but if i spend 6500 on a 6 week one on one course, i wont have the money to start a business. is it worth it?

2. shammy

shammy New Member

That is something you will have to decide on your own. Look at the area you live in, what are mounts going for in your area, how many other taxidermist are there close to you within a 75 mile area around you. How close are you to a larger city. these are some things I would consider. Do you love doing this kind of work and can you be self taught. Myself personally I love this business and there is nothing more satifying than seeing a customers smile when he picks up his trophy, Then I get paid and am happy to. But I also work a full time job. That is the job that pays the bills. With the economy the way it is money is tight for the customer as well. I didnt give it much thought when I went to school, I just did it. Whatever you decide I wish you the best, Welcome to this site and you will learn alot here. shammy

3. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I'm going to piss off a lot of people here. The good thing is I don't care. I went to school and I learned the basics. I was under the impression that it would be better than what it was. Having said that, there are so MANY artist on here and there are so many talented people that you can learn things from in three days and only spend around $1000 for a three day course that is one on one. In MY Opinion! You will learn more in three days with some of these guys than you will in a school in 6 freaking weeks. There is a reason you pay a premium price to learn from some guys and pennies with others. If you feel like doing a little traveling too, check out things like the Yoxathons to learn whitetails or check out things like all the seminars going on at the Midwest Regional Taxidermy Convention that you can do hands on seminars for a cheap $500! You will get more bang for your buck and you will have money left to buy some things too! Good Luck and if you need anything let me know. Dan

4. thanks for the warm welcome, i am in the flathead valley, northwestern Montana, I'm guessing theres a dozen taxidermists within 75 miles of here, maybe more, and multiple learning opportunity's within a couple hours from here, but i also think theres enough work for everybody as far as taxidermy goes, quality will be the key to success i think, I'm just trying to figure out how to learn enough to try and pick up some work this fall on a limited budget

5. thanx for the advice Dan.

6. psycho

No problem any time. Do some searching and a little homework on here if you think you can teach your self. Taxidermist are the dumbest professionals any where. (lets see how many people get pissed about that one! LOL) We tell everyone anything want to know for free, all a person has to do is look on here and any new comer can learn almost anything they want. ;) ;D

Welcome to the site and we look forward to meeting you someday and one of the events or competitions. Dan

7. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

a good school is going to save you months and maybe years of trial and error. Do some research brcause all schools arent created equal. Pick one that will give you the most for your investment.

http://taxidermy-school.com/taxidermySchoolRecommendations.htm

8. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

As a lot of us here, I was self taught. But I didn't start getting good till I attended my state shows and compete. I then took classes from Guys and gals that had won ribbons. From there I started taking classes from people like Bill Yox. You can never stop learning. But you can only learn so much by yourself. To expect to take any one class and make it huge in one month is expecting too much. It takes time to gain the ability to do good quality work, and more time to get the word out that you do. With enough hard work you will make it. I wish you the best of luck. Welcome to one of the biggest learning tools out there. THIS SITE. Research, Do your homework, post your work, ask your questions, Take the critiques as they are, learn, and do it again till you get it.

9. x2!!! And welcome! =)

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I'm one of those dumb taxidermists. What I mean is, I'm not a very good self learner. A guy can talk to me and tell me all the tricks, but I won't get it until I see it. usually once I see it I usually can duplicate it. We all learn in different ways. I could have never made it in this business without schooling. I think for some, a good instruction dvd works well, while others of us require a more personal instruction. Figure out how you learn best and travel down that path. Competitions do help, but I learned best from one on one instruction with the right teachers. I'm of the belief that until you make an investment into yourself, why would anyone else want to. Good Luck and welcome to the site.

11. Troy Rose

Troy Rose Learning...one of life's greatest treasures!

Dan(Psycho), I don't think I know you, but I like your honesty...most people don't like the truth because sometimes the truth hurts. Torchfaceglass, there is some great advice for you to consider. Good Luck on your decision.

Troy

12. For what it's worth, here are some wise words that Mr. T once posted. I typed it out and taped it to my computer. They apply to anything you may want to do - not just taxidermy.

"Some mistakes go away with practice and some mistakes go away with study. Study first and you won't waste the time practicing".

Bruce

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Once you leave any taxidermy school, you are still a beginner. Schools will give you a two deer heads, two fish, two bird, a racoon and coyote head start over the self taught man. They have their place for those that need to have things shown to them. A self starter guy can go a long way on his/her own taking weekend lessons from proven ribbon winning taxidermist found at State Associations. A weekend is better than "years" that some say it would on your own.

14. psycho

How true are those words!

I'll also add this to the pot. The absolute worse school out there is the one where the instructor does everything for you. Are you paying them to mount your stuff or are you there to learn how to mount them yourself. To many schools publish pics of past students and all of their students work looks the same. Why is that? It's because the instructors are doing the mounts for them so they have these really nice mounts to take home to show off. Thats fine and dandy but wait until you do your first one on your own and it doesn't even come close to looking like that. ;)

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

:eek:............... :-X

16. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

this site; the great people here and a few videos have been my school. and everything i learned has not been about tanning and mounting LOL

17. Do some mounts on your own first. When I went to school I never mounted anything just watched some video's. Until you start mounting things you have no idea what questions to ask. It was really almost a waste of time. Start by setting up your equipment and mounting all different kinds of animals and fish and then go to school then you'll no exactly what to ask and learn how to improve your work.

18. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I believe school is worth the money. But choose wisely. I was self taught originally, I thought I was doing pretty good. That is until I went to school to learn from award winning guys that make a living in this trade. With their experience and guidance I was able to advance faster than I believe I did in the time I tried to teach myself. I too am like Antlerman, I can read about things but until I actually do them the technique doesn't set in. Good luck with whatever you decide, 3bears

19. Jdewitt27

Jdewitt27 New Member

This is going to be a personal decision for yourself. I went to a 1 week $1500 Whitetail class, and it was more of a confidence thing for me. Like Mr T said when I walked out I was still definately a beginner, but I learned the basics that I can try to apply to my small mounts and everything else. For me it was definately worth it!

20. shammy

shammy New Member

Also if you decide to go to a school. check around about the schools. As Dan said dont go to one that does the work or you. you will never learn anything. Most teach you the basics to get you started doing commercial work. I personally enjoyed the school I attended and have no regrets. Everyone that has posted have given you sound advice. See your already learning about this great business. shammy