1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Teeth cracking, please help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by coyotekiller70, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Dosent matter the animal, the teeth are cracking. K9s, molers, deer, elk, hog, I will put head in bugs for 3-4 days, between the time i remove through the degrease and BO to the time its ready to be sealed I will haave cracked or split teeth. I just removed a hog(in the bugs for 3 days) removed and sat out on shelf for a week until i had room in degreaser and the cutters were split, not sure what is the cause for teeth spliting in my shop..Any input would be great. Thank you.

2. I'm guessing your elevation has alot to do with how often you are seeing the cracking. There are some repair suggestions on this site if you search cracking teeth or a similar term.

3. The canines on my coyotes and fox used to crack until The Dog told me to pull them before going into the degreaser. Haven,t had a problem since. It usually has to do with tempature change though.

4. native

native New Member

drastic temperature change will cause the teeth to crack. Never go from hot to cold water. I keep the teeth with the skull through the whole process with no problem but I make sure that the temperature of the teeth are cooled before I use cold water when I do my water changes.

5. drying out of the teeth will cause the cracking also. check out this thread by WolfWoman http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125676.0.html , its the way I fix all of mine now,

6. jevic035

jevic035 Member

x2

7. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Just send them to me and you won't have to worry bout it any more LOL!! But for real don't expose them to any heat and like westside said the faster you can get them out the better. I put mine in a tub with dawn and water before replacing so they stay wet, then try and dry them slow and seal with 5 coats of paraloid or clear finger nail polish before replacing.

8. steamvalley

steamvalley some cleaned and dipped skulls

I use fingernail polish as well. Not red or purple though.