1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How many hours in WT shoulder mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dave H, Jun 3, 2011.

1. 3-5 hrs

7.9%
  2. 5-7 hrs

13.3%
  3. 7-9 hrs

23.0%
  4. 9-12 hrs

34.5%
  5. 13-15hrs

21.2%
  1. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    Just wondering what most of you have in a mount, i think this is a major factor in peoples opinion on price. I think allot of people assume it takes everyone the same amount of time so if they charge less they are making less.

I think they also assume that if some one takes less time than they do it must be an inferior job.

2. ive only done 1 but prolly got 24 hrs into him. i hope i get faster LOL

3. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Re: Re: How many hours in WT shoulder mount

8 total hours usually.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

4. zubba

zubba Active Member

Usually about 8 hours too. There are a lot of variables though. Are you tanning the capes yourself, are you sending them off salted, are you sending them off green, are they coming back tanned, are they coming back tanned & prepped?

5. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    13-15 hours for me and I have my capes commercially tanned.

6. me as well.

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You don't need to look for justification for low prices Dave. If you were too charge less because you were quicker then you failed business 101

8. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

My time includes logging in, tagging, measuring, skinning, salting, shipping, fixing bullet holes, ordering mannikin, mannikin prep, trimming skull plate, boring holes for skull plate, leveling/shimming skull plate, foam clay/mache work on mannikin, installing hanger on mannikin, hide prep, installing earliners, mixing hide paste, mounting head, adjusting over next day, and finish work, cleaning hair/eyes, calling the client....and cleaning up the horrendous mess I make daily:)

I can and have prepped a hide/mannikin, installed earliners, and mounted a head in about an hour and half....but I don't like to.

I factor in EVERYTHING....and the guys telling me they spend and average of 5-8 hours total "mounting", must not include the day to day bull pucky. Or, I am just slow:)

What does everyone consider mounting? Just the actual laying of skin to mannikin or what?

9. When determining hours to set the price you should factor in more than the actual working time on the deer. How much time do you spend listening to the clients story when they drop it off, and then again when they pick it up? How much book time goes into that piece (accounting)? How much time gets factored in for clean up? I also factor in time spent at conventions, courses, classes and any time spent working on the business that is not directly attached to a single piece.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I stopped trying to justify my pricing long ago. That's the price I set and if they want my work, that's the price they'll pay.

Right now I'm doing 2 half lifesized Siberian snow sheep. One of this is offset and in order to hang it (and the rock attached to the leg bolts), I had to have a special hanger to rust. It was made with square tubing welded to a straight plate on 1/4 bar stock (6 inches long). For the mount, I had a 5x5 plate with a piece of square stock that would fit inside the square tubing. Good welder with scrap stock could make it in 5 minutes, 10 tops. Yesterday I got the call to come pick it up. Here's the bill:

1/4" x 2" flat bar $2.00
    1/4" x 4" flat bar 3.20
    3/4" square bar solid 2.25
    1/8"x1"x1" box 1.95
    Welding (1/2 hr. min.) 44.00
    Total $53.40

Now it was worth every cent that the client is going to be charged for it, but do any of you charge $88.00 an hour? BEFORE SUPPLIES?????

11. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

I set a personal goal to try and make $100 an hour, but I can barely see it from here :'(

12. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Well-Known Member

When i'm actualy working i make $45 per hour, But i'm not always working on taxidermy related projects, George next time you need a special hanger let me know, For 2 hanger kits plus shipping it would cost you $20 They would be more than enogh for a mount like that.

13. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

About 10. But I tan my own.

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Amen! :)

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Theres no way for me to stay on a schedule, and I havent counted hours in years. I just charge according to the type of mount Ill give them. I can say this much, EVERYTHING related to this job is going up fast though, so those who didnt charge enough? I hate to say it, but...

16. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

You don't need to look for justification for low prices Dave. If you were too charge less because you were quicker then you failed business 101

X2

17. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Maytag Repair man came out to fix the washer . Parts 15 bucks . Time spent fixing 15 minutes and cost 60 bucks . came to 75 bucks to wash clothes again

18. whitetail94

whitetail94 New Member

George I feel your pain in the high hourly charges. The guy that handle my plumbing repairs is not only a good friend but one of my customers, he charges $80 and hour works 10 months a year and hunts his property in Illinois the entire months of October and November.

I asked him last time he was at my house and gave me his labor bill if he cared if I charged him $80 per hour on the next mount I do for him. He laughed tore the bill up and said this one was on him.

19. tt

tt Licensed Taxidermist,Hunter,Trapper,and Fur Bearer

How many hours in WT shoulder mount

8 to 10 months :D I'm slow

Really I would say 15hrs easily

20. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !