1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How many hours in WT shoulder mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dave H, Jun 3, 2011.

1. 3-5 hrs

7.9%
  2. 5-7 hrs

13.3%
  3. 7-9 hrs

23.0%
  4. 9-12 hrs

34.5%
  5. 13-15hrs

21.2%
  1. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

20-30 :-[

2. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

3. Wild Images

Wild Images New Member

I chose 7-9 and charge $700 for a shoulder with no alterations, With shipping tanning etc I have around $200 max into the mount
    That leaves $500, at 10 hrs would be $50 and hour before taxes.
    I work out of my basement and have a full time job so taxi money is hunting and fun money, never had a job walk away because of my price
    and if it did so be it, my days of are dear and if I spend it working the pay will be worth it ;D

4. *

5. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    not trying to justify anything, I was reading a post and the guy said he had 12-15 hours minimum in a shoulder mount. I statred thinking that if it really took some one this long to mount a deer I can understand why they feel everyone should be charging 500-600 for a shoulder mount.

As I stated before, my prices are going up for 2011 i just have not decided what to raise them to.

When I posted this I was including caping, fleshing, salting, prepping hide after tanning, prepping form , mounting and finishing.

6. *

7. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Dennis is right, I'm part time and charge $750 for a deer. Takes me probably 6-8 hours of hands on time (not including time in the pickle etc)

8. well i make minimum wage on the farm and work over 40hrs all the time and they dont pay time and a half :'(. so if i was to charge what sum of you s charge it would be over quadruple time :). minimum wage mich $7.40. i need to get my taxi bussiness goin quick. i also like the theory of charging more for work ing at it part time and holdin another job. u may not get all the jobs but the ones you may get will prolly be enough to do in what little time you have and will be compoensated well.

9. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

??????

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

WTF do mechanics and plumbers have to do with taxidermy pricing? ???

11. Lol, If I was looking for a wage to compare to for setting my wages I'd be talking doctors and lawyers! Now there's an hourly wage to strive to match. :)

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That's what I was thinking. ??? Hell, why not compare wages with the CEO of Sprint, or the sacker at Wal Mart, or my 3rd grade teacher? ???

13. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

If I counted the hours I put into a mount, I would quit doing it. I hear people say they have 8 hours total in a mount and nearly choke on my loserness. I have double that much just standing back and looking at it to get my bearings. Your options don't go high enough so I held my vote.

14. tem

tem Well-Known Member

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I finished a muledeer Sunday, came in Monday morning, fixing to call the guy to
    Pick it up, took another look at it and thought "damn that's ugly !". So I took it in back, stripped the finishing work and redid it. This time to a much better appearance. Could i afford to do that had I charged $350.....or better yet, WOULD o do that if I charged $350? I doubt it, he'd get what he pays for.

So if they took 6 hours you couldn't understand $500-$600 for a shoulder mount???

Rationalization and justification of low prices on good Taxidermy work does not fly in any way shape or form.

16. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

I wish all of the $300.00 guys would go to $600.00, and the rest of us to $800.00......or more. It could be done, but it will never happen. Wishful thinking. Most taxidermists think making money is 'for someone else'. I can't name another business where people feel guilty for charging decent money.

17. v.fleming

v.fleming New Member

Well said Ron.

18. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

It should be..... I stole it from you!! The conversation we had in Beckley made a lot of sense to me. We ARE our own worst enemy.

19. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Hey...you gotta cut people a break because not everybody can do good taxidermy. LOL!

20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I have some deer I can cruse right through and have done in under 7 hours total. Then there are the ones that fight me the whole way and take 8-9 hours. IMO There's no way to come up with a "set time".
    I'd LOVE to make a lawyers wages but most of the time it ends up being a bagger at the local grocery stores wages. :D