1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

This Guy Gives the Industry a Bad Name

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Grizz224, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Grizz224

Grizz224 New Member

Just a heads up on Kings of The North Taxidermy in Anchorage Alaska. The owner, Mr. Kenneth Morris took a duck in from me back in mid Oct 2010 with the promise that the mount would be done by Jan 2011.

Jan came and went and it got to be late Feb. He told me then that it would be finished right after Fur Rondy. Apparently his priorities were with getting new customers and not satisfying his prior commitments. Anyways, excuse after excuse the date of delivery was constantly slipping. He never answers his business phone nor does he return calls. This has been his style of business since March. It is now 4 Jun 2011 and I still don't have my duck.

He has told me on several occasions that the work is at a particular stage in the process. After getting help from a 3rd party I learned that Morris had passed the work on to a real taxidermists. Morris NEVER did start it nor did he intend to do it as the individual he turned it over too informed me that he does all of Morris' ducks. DO NOT TRUST A SINGLE WORD OUT OF THE OWNER OF THIS BUSINESS! Take your work elsewhere. I am!!!

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

3-4 month turn around on a duck.... coool!

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Boo hoo,,, subbing out work is common practice among 90% of all taxidermist. A duck would not dictate my work schedule unless it was a $1000 duck.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

But Paul, he's beel waiting 7 1/2 months!!!!!

LMAO!

5. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

They have ducks in Alaska? ;D

6. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

cool ones Bill...Get over it dude..We all get behind..I'm sure you'll get your duck...

7. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

You do realize that your telling a large group of taxidermists not to take our work to him don't you?

8. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

LOL

9. dkdalaska

dkdalaska New Member

OK now let me throw my 2 cent in. Yes you did drop a duck off to me and i did say 3 months because that was my turn around at the time (my mistake, never happen again) in November the roof of my shop fell in due to heavy ice and i was force to move my shop into my two car garage (3000sq to 1600). so at that point i had to take a job on base (fully time guard) to pay the bills. that point i subbed out small work like ducks and small game. the guy who is doing that for me has done ducks for me in the pass and he keeps me up to date on all the projects. at no time did i tell you a lie. If you want to take what someone else says about what I'm working on then don't feel bad if it feels like a lie. if they don't work with me they don't know what I'm doing!! you're duck will get done. working 12 hours on base and 5 hours a day on taxi stuff leaves me little time with my family and returning calls to someone who calls 3 times a week. I'm not going to rush a mount just to get it out. I take pride in my work. When your mount is done you will get a call. sorry to seem like an ass but out of all my customers you're the only one complaining.

10. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I don't give much credit to someone who comes on a public forum and airs their dirty laundry for their very first post. Work it out privately, like others have said that was an unusual turn around time to start with. My turnaround is 10 to 12 months on a regular basis.

11. Grizz, plain and simple you know nothing about taxidermy. Yea things happen, things get buried in the freezer. And Yes its common for taxidermist to hire a WHOLESALE TAXIDERMIST. that is someone doing a certain type of taxidermy.

Crap happens and 7 1/2 months hell that would be fast!!!

12. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    X 2 X100%

13. CJN

CJN Member

Man says he will have duck done in 3 months he should have duck done in 3 months. If Mr. Morris is subbing out his ducks, what does his roof caving in and him taking another job and moving his shop into his garage have to do with it if someone else is doing the work. If Mr. Morris is mounting the duck himself and unforeseen circumstances or hardship comes up you would think he would have the brains to contact his customers and let them know about any delays. "When your mount is done you will get a call." You should of called the customer a long time ago. You guys can rip on this customer all you want on here, but only we will hear it. This guy can go all kinds of message boards and broadcasts his displeasure about Mr. Morris and more important people than us will hear it, potential clients of Mr. Morris. One thing is for sure he finally scored a response from the person he hired even if it is on an open forum.

14. mike g

mike g Active Member

Damn, I thought I was going to read about something else about someone else LOL!

15. dkdalaska

dkdalaska New Member

CJN the reason I subbed out my work is because I was getting behind with moving the shop. If you read what grizz wrote he said I told him what happened and of the delay. So if he calls every week about the duck it's not going to speed things up, in fact it slows things down. We all have at least customer like this and no matter what we do they aren't happy. I would feel alittle bad if he had put a deposit but I didn't request one. If a little patients is used then this wouldn't be an issue.

16. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

NO DEPOSIT?????? he wont pick it up when it is done.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

CJN, why don't you copy and save this post. IF you're a taxidermist and WHEN this happens to you, you'll be able to take solace in the words of a dumbass who hasn't been in business long enough to understand how things happen sometimes. The customer KNEW of the situation and for one damned silly duck, he's going to come on a worldwide internet site and say this man "gives the industry a bad name"??? I can damned sure think of a few other people and issues that are way ahead of this guy.

18. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I love threads like this. Granted Kings of The North Taxidermy should never of said it would be done in 3 months. I always say 6 months to a year and if I get it done in 3 months the customer is happy I got it done sooner. But if Grizz224 knew Kings of The North's situation I don't understand this DRAMA post.
    And like someone mentioned earlier, subbing work out is normal in taxidermy. A LOT of taxidermists do it and the customers are happy with the product.

I can't see why anyone would side with the customer here. Wait till it happens to you and then come here and let us know what you think then.
    Kings doesn't give the industry a bad name, Grizz gives customers a bad name.

19. Grizz is the customer when your smiling trying to be polite. your really thinking about putting your foot in his a$$ and showing him the door. :mad:

20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

What I meant when I said "Grizz gives customers a bad name" is he comes on a public forum (and I'm sure this isn't the only one) and try's to ruin a taxidermist after only waiting 7 1/2 months for his duck. Then complains because the taxidermist sends the duck out to be wholesaled so he can get it back faster.
    Like I said, Kings shouldn't of said the mount would be done in 3 months and I'm sure he learned his lesson, but to come on here and say he "Gives the Industry a Bad Name" is stupid.
    So yes, I guess your right, I WOULD show him the door.