1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How Rare Do You Think This Is? Take the Steelhead Poll

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by PacWest, Jun 4, 2011.

1. I witnessed a Steelhead being caught in the Pacific Ocean.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I witnessed a Steelhead being caught in the Atlantic Ocean.

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. I witnessed a Steelhead being caught in another body of salt water that was not a bay or Puget Sound

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I have never heard of a Steelhead being caught in the Ocean

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  5. I don't believe you can catch a Steelhead in the ocean with conventional fishing techniques

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

This is an unscientific survey, but a serious one. I appreciate anyone who honestly contributes and I respectfully request anyone to comment after they have chosen an option. Thanks

2. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

You do know that the Ocean is where steelhead put on their weight and gain there size, right? This happens from eating. They actually stop eating (for the most part) once they enter a stream. A steelhead in the Oceanor estuary is much more likely to bite than one in a river. (I'm talking about true anadromous steelhead of the Paciific Ocean.)

3. akairman

akairman New Member

I watched a guy catch one near montague island in alaska. we were mooching for silvers in between tides, and it was the only fish we caught at the time. we thought it was a silver at first, but afterwards realized it wasn't. i'm about 95% sure it was a steelhead. no creeks or rivers that i was aware of that hold steelhead.

4. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

Sure do. I was a commercial salmon fisherman for 9 years, have fished for Steelhead for over 20 years, and worked at a salmon/trout fish hatchery in the PNW.

5. I have never caught one in saltwater, a few at the mouth of a rivers, but never one trolling for salmon. I have seen ocean bright steelhead by the tote load, come into the processing plants. Most were gillnet caught, some were true pigs. I have been told by commercial trollers that they have caught them, but it is rare.
    The state record steelhead/rainbow was caught in saltwater near Bell island, SE Alaska in 1970. 40lbs 3oz.

6. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

No saltwater here but I have caught thousands here in the lakes and in the rivers.

7. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

That's a great story Travis. I have seen a few come from drag nets but I have not been around any ocean gill netters.