1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

help fixing a turkey beard

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by KevinH, Jun 5, 2011.

1. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

I had a customer bring me a turkey beard that he just need put back together, his cat got ahold of it and it was just a bunch of strands. It was a double beard and I got 2 seperate beards epoxied together now but the strands are not straight and I was wondering what I could do to straighten them? Plus Im not sure how to make it look like a double beard again, I was thinkin glueing them into a piece of buckskin so they are seperated. Any input and/or help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i have had to do similar types of repairs. First thing I do is make sure all the fatty tissue is removed. Then I use 8# fire wire and wrap each section of the beard. Then wrap the two together, making one rotation around both then only one of them. continue wrapping so that each wrap gets each separate section of the beard, until its all wrapped back together. Its kind of like doing a figure 8 around each piece. once that's done, wash the beard in hot water and let it hang from the newly wrapped end to drip dry. Add a tiny bit of weight to the bottom end to straighten them out. Sometimes a cloths pin is enough weight for this. If not I start adding Quarters to the close pin till it does lay straight.
    Good luck.
    Bob